Old 18-04-2003, 06:44 PM
jimwatts

Default Seeking Vanilla aphylla information

Al -
Yeah, aphylla is an southeast asian species, no worries about glades
gleaning! There are probably about 8-10 leafless species of vanilla
from the americas, africa, and asia.
When I get new vanilla cuttings, I lay them horizontally on sphagnum
or regular potting soil. Put a vertical riser in the pot for when it
starts growing. The plant may take months before putting out new
growth from one of the nodes. Just keep watering, they can be
frustrating waiting for them to grow, LOL. But when it does grow, it
can ramble all over the place!!
I saw a V. planifolia at the Coral Gables show that was in a 24 inch
basket of sphagnum, no vertical at all. It had several spikes, and
was probably 20 feet long, all coiled up like some giant green snake.

jimwatts

"Al" wrote in message ...
The plants came from a nursery in Thailand but I don't know where the
species aphylla itself is native.