Old 24-01-2010, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph General Schvantzkoph is offline

Default Herbs and Deer

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 07:35:24 -0800, wrote:

On Jan 24, 10:03Â*am, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 03:16:57 -0800, wrote:
On Jan 24, 12:30Â*am, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 16:50:36 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 05:51:19 -0800, wrote:

Are there Herbs that will deter Deer from the garden?

MJ

Any guy named Herb who owns a shotgun.

On a serious note try hanging bars of Irish Spring around your
garden. I've been doing it for a couple of years but I can't really
make a statement about it's efficacy because I don't get that many
deer. I got the idea from the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National
Historical Park in Vermont, they were using it around their gardens.

I can make a statement, it didn't work at all MJ

Have you tried predator urine? I've been using Fox and Coyote urine to
keep away groundhogs and raccoons away, it seems to have worked. Once
again I can't make a scientific statement but the theory behind
predator urine seems a little better then the theory behind Irish
Spring.

Is it expensive and how often to you have to put it out? MJ

As I recall I paid $15 or $20 for each bottle (1 Fox and 1 Coyote), they
lasted all summer. The stuff I bought was essentially kitty litter that
was soaked in urine, it came in shaker bottles. I applied it about once a
month. BTW the previous year I tried dumping my cat's litter box in the
groundhog holes, it was a huge mistake. Modern scoopable litter turns
into a slurry when it gets wet and it never dries, it's essentially
quicksand. The muck was still there a year later, I expect it will be
there for many years to come. They use the old fashion stuff for the
predator urine so that wasn't a problem.