Old 29-01-2010, 09:22 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Muddymike Muddymike is offline

Default Leylandii for burning?

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
In message
,
Andy Dingley writes
Efficient burning needs a Norwegian box stove, with enough
secondary
combustion chamber to cope with burning the producer gas from
conifers. It's also likely to coat your flue with tars and
creosote.

Chimney fire material.

Like all wood Leylandi needs seasoning well before burning. I try
to never burn anything under two years old, and have burned a lot
of Leylandi over the years. It's not good firewood, but hey when
its free I'll burn it. If you need the damper far enough open
that sparks can fly out then that's a sure sign that the wood
inside is not ready to be burnt. Another sure sign that you are
burning wood too early is when the glass in the door tars up. I
have often been asked how we clean the glass in ours and the
answer is that we don't. It stays clear when burning well
seasoned wood.
See
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...uddymike.10666

Mike