Old 30-01-2010, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Ash question

John T wrote:

Wood ash is different, a few years ago we had quite a large bonfire, and the
wood ash went in to the compost heap before the winter.
I must now say we have generally quite mild winters (north end of the
Wirral), and although the last two winters the compost has stopped working,
it doesnt normally.

This ash enhanced compost went in the potato bed in February, and that years
crop was a bumper one. Phosphates I believe, good for most things that
flower.

Potash - you'd get phosphates from bones.

--
Rusty