Old 30-01-2010, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ash question

During this cold weather I have been accumulating a
lot of ashes, some wood and some coal.
I was wondering if it would be beneficial on my allotment.
Maybe dug into the soil or put on the compost heap??, or
am I just wasting my time, should I just dump them??

Any help would be appreciated.

ally

Old 30-01-2010, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message
During this cold weather I have been accumulating a
lot of ashes, some wood and some coal.
I was wondering if it would be beneficial on my allotment.
Maybe dug into the soil or put on the compost heap??, or
am I just wasting my time, should I just dump them??

Any help would be appreciated.

ally

I wouldnt put coal ash anywhere near the garden, too many horrible things in
coal, heavy metals, sulphates, and things i cant pronounce. Also it might
(will) upset the pH (acid balance in other words)

Wood ash is different, a few years ago we had quite a large bonfire, and the
wood ash went in to the compost heap before the winter.
I must now say we have generally quite mild winters (north end of the
Wirral), and although the last two winters the compost has stopped working,
it doesnt normally.

This ash enhanced compost went in the potato bed in February, and that years
crop was a bumper one. Phosphates I believe, good for most things that
flower.

John

Old 30-01-2010, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 30 Jan, 12:52, "John T" wrote:
"Wally" wrote in message

[...]

When I was a lot younger and we lived just outside Hastings we had
heavy clay soil and all the ash from both Aga and open fires was
spread on the garden, we used to burn around 1/2 ton of coal, 1 ton
coke and at least 2 tons of logs.
the garden did well on it as it seemed to help break up the clay and
ofcourse in those days they hadnt invented all the "Nasties" that they
find in todays fuel.
We also drank un pasturised Jersey milk and eat plenty of Eggs and
butter.
I wonder how we survived?
David Hill
Old 30-01-2010, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

John T wrote:

Wood ash is different, a few years ago we had quite a large bonfire, and the
wood ash went in to the compost heap before the winter.
I must now say we have generally quite mild winters (north end of the
Wirral), and although the last two winters the compost has stopped working,
it doesnt normally.

This ash enhanced compost went in the potato bed in February, and that years
crop was a bumper one. Phosphates I believe, good for most things that
flower.

Potash - you'd get phosphates from bones.

--
Rusty
Old 31-01-2010, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you for replies.

Wally

Ash question Wally[_3_] United Kingdom 20 12-11-2011 12:15 AM
Which came first, the Green Ash or the White Ash species Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 21 26-10-2004 04:48 AM
Mountain Ash Question Monroe Gardening 4 13-07-2004 03:02 PM
grafting white-ash onto green-ash Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 4 28-06-2004 07:38 AM
telling apart green ash from white ash Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 6 04-05-2004 10:07 PM