Old 03-02-2010, 04:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default weed control

On 2/3/2010 3:38 AM, chen wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has a way to kill/control weeds? I have
tried every herbicide they sell at Lowe's and still can't seem to kill
the dang things. They always die initially but by the end of the week
are alive again.

Do they make "neutralizers" -- sprays that kill everything? And can I
spray it and still plant some seedlings in MAy-June?

Have you tried Roundup? It should kill everything, but it might require
more than one treatment for woody plants (e.g., shrubs, trees). It is
safe to plant in the ground after about a week. Just be sure you
thoroughly clean the sprayer before using it for something else.

However, when I say "It should kill everything", I'm beginning to have
doubts. Monsanto (the developer of Roundup) has also developed
genetically engineered crops that are resistant to Roundup. This allows
the use of Roundup to control weeds competing with those crops. It is
known that pollen from such crops has spread and contaminated other
related crops, making them unfit for export to nations that prohibit the
use of genetic engineering in their food supplies. Thus, it is possible
that pollen from Roundup-resistent plants has also contaminated related
weeds (e.g., wild relatives of grains), making them resistent to Roundup.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean