Old 04-02-2010, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default parsnips split with brown stains

"Paul Luton" wrote ...
As a first time parsnip grower I was pleased to get some decent looking
plants but reserved most for "after a frost". When I dig up the roots now
I find that they have deep splits from to to bottom and large brown marks
under the skin. Can anyone more experienced suggest what I have done wrong
?

Large brown marks on the skin is Canker but under the skin I can only think
of Carrot Root Fly damage (yes they attach parsnips too). Usually you get
root fly damage which lets in the canker fungus. For both of these there are
no preventatives/treatments available. That said you can grow parsnips under
enviromesh, just like carrots, to stop the fly getting to the roots but
personally it has never worked for me, wind, vandals, foxes have all
conspired to tear it to shreds.
Splitting I always understood to be due to uneven watering.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden