Old 06-02-2010, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OhioGuy OhioGuy is offline

Default source for shallots

"Unless you are a gardener, shallots are more commonly known as onions.
Used in the same way, and having the same taste......"

That's an actual quote from a website, gardenzone.info, and I don't
think I really agree.

Now I've been experimenting with alternatives to Onions, mostly
because my wife hates the smell. I tried leeks, then some purple
shallots from the local grocery. What I found was that she hates the
smell of all of them, so we are having a vented hood installed over the
stove.

Anyway, I love cooking with onions, but now I think I may prefer the
flavor of shallots. I was wondering if anyone could point me to a bulk
source? I'm thinking of planting a roughly 4' by 10' area with them.
Thanks!