Old 06-02-2010, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default source for shallots

"Unless you are a gardener, shallots are more commonly known as onions.
Used in the same way, and having the same taste......"

That's an actual quote from a website, gardenzone.info, and I don't
think I really agree.

Now I've been experimenting with alternatives to Onions, mostly
because my wife hates the smell. I tried leeks, then some purple
shallots from the local grocery. What I found was that she hates the
smell of all of them, so we are having a vented hood installed over the
stove.

Anyway, I love cooking with onions, but now I think I may prefer the
flavor of shallots. I was wondering if anyone could point me to a bulk
source? I'm thinking of planting a roughly 4' by 10' area with them.
Thanks!
Old 07-02-2010, 02:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Ohioguy
wrote:

"Unless you are a gardener, shallots are more commonly known as onions.
Used in the same way, and having the same taste......"

That's an actual quote from a website, gardenzone.info, and I don't
think I really agree.

Now I've been experimenting with alternatives to Onions, mostly
because my wife hates the smell. I tried leeks, then some purple
shallots from the local grocery. What I found was that she hates the
smell of all of them, so we are having a vented hood installed over the
stove.

Anyway, I love cooking with onions, but now I think I may prefer the
flavor of shallots. I was wondering if anyone could point me to a bulk
source? I'm thinking of planting a roughly 4' by 10' area with them.
Thanks!

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/c-46-shallots.aspx

or

http://www.southernexposure.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100119/...ting_activists
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/19/headlines
Old 07-02-2010, 08:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Ohioguy" wrote in message
"Unless you are a gardener, shallots are more commonly known as onions.
Used in the same way, and having the same taste......"

That's an actual quote from a website, gardenzone.info, and I don't
think I really agree.

Now I've been experimenting with alternatives to Onions, mostly because
my wife hates the smell. I tried leeks, then some purple shallots from
the local grocery. What I found was that she hates the smell of all of
them, so we are having a vented hood installed over the stove.

Anyway, I love cooking with onions, but now I think I may prefer the
flavor of shallots. I was wondering if anyone could point me to a bulk
source? I'm thinking of planting a roughly 4' by 10' area with them.
Thanks!

Good luck with that. I had my first try at growing shallots this past winter
alongside garlic. I pulled up a great crop a few weeks ago which are
currently drying. I think I will enjoy cooking with the small ones through
autumn and winter and enjoy planting the bigger ones out for another good
crop next summer.

rob

Old 07-02-2010, 01:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 18:17:56 -0800, Wildbilly
wrote:

In article , Ohioguy
wrote:

[...]

The Johnny's catalog arrived a couple of days ago. My husband was
looking through it and said he never knew there were so many kinds of
greens. Of course the only lettuce he will eat is iceberg.

I have bought a number of things from Johnny's and have been very
satisfied.

Check your local nurseries or farm stores for shallots.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 07-02-2010, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Feb 6, 10:45*am, Ohioguy wrote:
"Unless you are a gardener, shallots are more commonly known as onions.
* *Used in the same way, and having the same taste......"

* *That's an actual quote from a website, gardenzone.info, and I don't
think I really agree.

* *Now I've been experimenting with alternatives to Onions, mostly
because my wife hates the smell. *I tried leeks, then some purple
shallots from the local grocery. *What I found was that she hates the
smell of all of them, so we are having a vented hood installed over the
stove.

* *Anyway, I love cooking with onions, but now I think I may prefer the
flavor of shallots. *I was wondering if anyone could point me to a bulk
source? *I'm thinking of planting a roughly 4' by 10' area with them.
Thanks!

What is the difference between shallots and onion sets?
MJ

Old 08-02-2010, 03:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The shallots you bought at the grocery will probably work fine. The
yellow ones are probably "Dutch" shallots wich are some of the largest
and will last a very long time in storage. In Ohio I plant them in the
fall with garlic though you might do OK planting in the spring. They
don't like weeds but otherwise have few problems. As far as tasting
like onions or tasting like garlic...they taste like shallots.
I've grown them from seed before too. They are available from some
seed catalogs. Those I planted in the spring.