Old 07-02-2010, 12:37 PM
beccabunga beccabunga is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Turner View Post
On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 14:52:20 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

A wooden lattice fence came down in a recent storm, with a load of very
old variegated ivy entwined in the lattice. I'd like to save the ivy, or
at least some of it, if possible. (The lattice is beyond salvation.)

Some of the stems are very thick, about 2cm in diameter. I'm wondering
if I should cut some of these, and keep the longer branches with foliage
on them, or if I should just cut back all the foliage leaving these
ancient stems?
Are they likely to create new foliage?

Try stopping them!
Absolutely - one of the world's great survivors. Can only really be killed off by chemical means. Just cut it back and let it alone.