Old 06-02-2010, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Trying to rescue ivy

A wooden lattice fence came down in a recent storm,
with a load of very old variegated ivy entwined in the lattice.
I'd like to save the ivy, or at least some of it, if possible.
(The lattice is beyond salvation.)

Some of the stems are very thick, about 2cm in diameter.
I'm wondering if I should cut some of these,
and keep the longer branches with foliage on them,
or if I should just cut back all the foliage
leaving these ancient stems?
Are they likely to create new foliage?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
Old 06-02-2010, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Timothy Murphy" wrote ...
A wooden lattice fence came down in a recent storm,
with a load of very old variegated ivy entwined in the lattice.
I'd like to save the ivy, or at least some of it, if possible.
(The lattice is beyond salvation.)

Some of the stems are very thick, about 2cm in diameter.
I'm wondering if I should cut some of these,
and keep the longer branches with foliage on them,
or if I should just cut back all the foliage
leaving these ancient stems?
Are they likely to create new foliage?

I used to prune mine hard back to old stems and it resprouted quite quickly,
got rid of it eventually.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-02-2010, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Derek Turner contains these words:

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 14:52:20 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

\snip\
Are they likely to create new foliage?

Try stopping them!

And if you are uncertain just take some cuttings as a back-up. Simply
cut off some stems about a foot long and insert them into the ground the
same way up that they were growing. I have done this a number of times
to create several new plants.

--
Compo
Old 07-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Turner View Post
On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 14:52:20 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

A wooden lattice fence came down in a recent storm, with a load of very
old variegated ivy entwined in the lattice. I'd like to save the ivy, or
at least some of it, if possible. (The lattice is beyond salvation.)

Some of the stems are very thick, about 2cm in diameter. I'm wondering
if I should cut some of these, and keep the longer branches with foliage
on them, or if I should just cut back all the foliage leaving these
ancient stems?
Are they likely to create new foliage?

Try stopping them!
Absolutely - one of the world's great survivors. Can only really be killed off by chemical means. Just cut it back and let it alone.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 7 Feb, 12:51, Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says... A wooden lattice fence came down in a recent storm,
with a load of very old variegated ivy entwined in the lattice.
I'd like to save the ivy, or at least some of it, if possible.
(The lattice is beyond salvation.)

Some of the stems are very thick, about 2cm in diameter.
I'm wondering if I should cut some of these,
and keep the longer branches with foliage on them,
or if I should just cut back all the foliage
leaving these ancient stems?
Are they likely to create new foliage?

Prune it hard as only the new stems attach and it will just look a mess
if you try and tie it back in
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

With a 2 inch stem you could probably nail it back onto the new fence.
David Hill

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy ilaboo Lawns 4 06-06-2008 12:52 AM
[IBC] Trying to rescue Needle Juniper N. fo boston, a little help? Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 31-10-2004 09:14 AM
Trying to rescue Needle Juniper N. fo boston, a little help? Erik S Bonsai 0 31-10-2004 02:56 AM