Old 07-02-2010, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] mjciccarel@gmail.com is offline

Default source for shallots

On Feb 6, 10:45*am, Ohioguy wrote:
"Unless you are a gardener, shallots are more commonly known as onions.
* *Used in the same way, and having the same taste......"

* *That's an actual quote from a website, gardenzone.info, and I don't
think I really agree.

* *Now I've been experimenting with alternatives to Onions, mostly
because my wife hates the smell. *I tried leeks, then some purple
shallots from the local grocery. *What I found was that she hates the
smell of all of them, so we are having a vented hood installed over the
stove.

* *Anyway, I love cooking with onions, but now I think I may prefer the
flavor of shallots. *I was wondering if anyone could point me to a bulk
source? *I'm thinking of planting a roughly 4' by 10' area with them.
Thanks!

What is the difference between shallots and onion sets?
MJ