Old 19-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Mike Hunter

Default Hoggin paths - source of raw materials?

"PRIORPARK17" wrote in message
Does anyone know much about hoggin paths? Do you buy hoggin in sacks or

do you
have to mix your own? I am greatful for any advice.

In our part of the world (Hampshire), Hoggin is a naturally occuring mix of
clay and gravel. Very heavy and very sticky. Comes on a lorry (never seen it
in bags).

Spread as evenly as possible (which is not very) and then flatten it out
with a heavy roller. You need a minimum of 2 to 3 inches thick or the roller
just picks it up, it is sooo sticky. Expect to walk bright orange clay into
the house at first! After it has rained, the top layer of clay washes down
to expose the gravel and then it looks really good. Maintain by brushing
away any excess loose gravel as necessary. Expect to replace it after 4 or 5
years.

I used it on a fairly steep drive. I suspect that on the flat the clay could
become too wet unless the ground underneath was very well draining.

HTH

Mike