Old 18-04-2003, 10:32 AM
PRIORPARK17

Default Hoggin paths - source of raw materials?

Does anyone know much about hoggin paths? Do you buy hoggin in sacks or do you
have to mix your own? I am greatful for any advice.
Old 18-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Alan Gould

In article , PRIORPARK17
writes
Does anyone know much about hoggin paths? Do you buy hoggin in sacks or do you
have to mix your own? I am greatful for any advice.

Hoggin is sifted mixed gravel.
You can mix your own from various sizes and colours.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 18-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Rod

"PRIORPARK17" wrote in message ...
Does anyone know much about hoggin paths? Do you buy hoggin in sacks or do you
have to mix your own? I am greatful for any advice.

Depends how much you want. A builder's merchant would probably sell it by the bag or agbag for small amounts or load
your trailer/truck for you. For a few tonnes or more try local quarries or the kind of haulier who runs tippers - they
often have accounts with quarries etc and can source full loads of whatever you need.

Rod

Old 19-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Mike Hunter

"PRIORPARK17" wrote in message
Does anyone know much about hoggin paths? Do you buy hoggin in sacks or

do you
have to mix your own? I am greatful for any advice.

In our part of the world (Hampshire), Hoggin is a naturally occuring mix of
clay and gravel. Very heavy and very sticky. Comes on a lorry (never seen it
in bags).

Spread as evenly as possible (which is not very) and then flatten it out
with a heavy roller. You need a minimum of 2 to 3 inches thick or the roller
just picks it up, it is sooo sticky. Expect to walk bright orange clay into
the house at first! After it has rained, the top layer of clay washes down
to expose the gravel and then it looks really good. Maintain by brushing
away any excess loose gravel as necessary. Expect to replace it after 4 or 5
years.

I used it on a fairly steep drive. I suspect that on the flat the clay could
become too wet unless the ground underneath was very well draining.

HTH

Mike

Natural "LOCAL" raw honey - need source to buy Gene Texas 1 11-09-2007 04:41 PM
Pebblesl for paths Broadback United Kingdom 8 10-03-2005 07:51 AM
Garden paths Hans L Gardening 16 30-07-2004 04:47 AM
RFI: Options for paths in my garden Andyd Texas 12 22-04-2004 05:04 AM
Rockery raw materials Weazle United Kingdom 0 31-05-2003 10:44 AM