Old 19-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Radika Kesavan

Default Old Growth Roses?

Emil wrote:
Hi everybody, :-)

So I have been seeing the term Old Growth Roses being mentioned alot. Does
this mean roses that are "classics?" Roses that have been grown from the
1900's, stuff like that?
Can I buy them online? Are they similar to the HT roses that I have? Any
tips on buying them, etc etc.
Will they grow well in my Zones 9-10, Southern, CA?

Emil, I am wondering if what you are thinking of is Old Garden Roses
(frequently abbreviated OGRs), rather than Old Growth Roses?

If it is OGRs that you are thinking about, they are roses that belong to
the classes that were identified before the (arbitrary?) cut-off date of
1867. If it is OGRs that you are thinking about, there are many such
roses that will do very well in your Zone 9-10 SoCal location, trust me
- some are roses that others in climates with harsher winters cannot
grow tbut you and I can - such as Chinas and Teas, for example.

This is a very good site from where you can learn a lot about Old Garden
Roses:
http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/

Enjoy.

--