Old 18-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Emil

Default Old Growth Roses?

Hi everybody, :-)

So I have been seeing the term Old Growth Roses being mentioned alot. Does
this mean roses that are "classics?" Roses that have been grown from the
1900's, stuff like that?
Can I buy them online? Are they similar to the HT roses that I have? Any
tips on buying them, etc etc.
Will they grow well in my Zones 9-10, Southern, CA?

Thanks, :-)
Emil
Zones 9-10

Old 19-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Radika Kesavan

Emil wrote:
Hi everybody, :-)

So I have been seeing the term Old Growth Roses being mentioned alot. Does
this mean roses that are "classics?" Roses that have been grown from the
1900's, stuff like that?
Can I buy them online? Are they similar to the HT roses that I have? Any
tips on buying them, etc etc.
Will they grow well in my Zones 9-10, Southern, CA?

Emil, I am wondering if what you are thinking of is Old Garden Roses
(frequently abbreviated OGRs), rather than Old Growth Roses?

If it is OGRs that you are thinking about, they are roses that belong to
the classes that were identified before the (arbitrary?) cut-off date of
1867. If it is OGRs that you are thinking about, there are many such
roses that will do very well in your Zone 9-10 SoCal location, trust me
- some are roses that others in climates with harsher winters cannot
grow tbut you and I can - such as Chinas and Teas, for example.

This is a very good site from where you can learn a lot about Old Garden
Roses:
http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/

Enjoy.

--
Radika
California

Old 19-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Allegra

"Emil" wanted to know where to find Old Garden Roses...

Hello Emil,

This is a subject dear to my heart, as I love old garden
roses and the majority (97%) of all our roses in this garden
are ogr. The term is really a misnomer that arbitrarily was
used to define roses that were both in commerce and known
to exist prior to 1867, when the rose La France made her
appearance. But commerce being commerce a name was
needed to differentiate the roses that become known as Hybrid
Teas and the rest that existed before then.

They can indeed be bought around the country from some very
nice vendors and you can even order from one of my favorites
Pickering across the border into Canada. They are for the most
part disease resistant, which has confused many a gardener by
making them think that they are disease free. They get powdery
mildew and/or black spot, some are what are called remontant
which is a French term to say that they repeat their blooming
period, and some are not. The ones that are not just will overwhelm
you with blossoms and fragrance once, and while most gardeners will
not think of accusing lilacs, peonies, tulip, rhododendrons and some such
of being worthless in the garden for their once blooming, there is a
certain stigma attached to roses that I have never heard to be of any
importance for any other plant. At any rate, because of your zone
I don't think you have to worry about the once blooming ones since
the majority likes a cooler climate than yours.

There are from singles (meaning five petals) to really full ladies, where
100 petals is not unusual. They came in just about any shade you
may want to find, and from micro-miniatures to gigantic climbers.
They come from China, Persia, Europe, and the only place I am
aware of that has no native varieties is the Southern continent, where
every single rose grown there had to have been imported. You will fall
in love with them, but I would think that an easier way to get to
know them is by going to your local rose garden if there is one
around where you live. Otherwise there are beautiful books available
at your library ( Classic Roses by Peter Beales is one) that can show
you what they look like, color, how big they get and their fragrance
to make your selection easier.

There are newer roses that look like the old garden roses, most of
them coming from England and France, the best known ones being
the ones created by David Austin. You should check those at your
local nursery. They are modern roses only because they have been
created by David Austin in the past 30 years. But some have the
look and the fragrance of the true old garden roses.

If I can help you with your quest to increase your rose garden, ask
and if I know the answer, I will be happy to share what I know.
But for your zone you are better off asking Cass and Radika who
I believe have similar growing climates. Emil, congratulations! To
paraphrase Ric, "this is the beginning..." of a wonderful adventure for
you!

Allegra

Old 19-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Emil

"Radika Kesavan" wrote in message
Emil wrote:
Hi everybody, :-)

So I have been seeing the term Old Growth Roses being mentioned alot.

Does
this mean roses that are "classics?" Roses that have been grown from the
1900's, stuff like that?
Can I buy them online? Are they similar to the HT roses that I have? Any
tips on buying them, etc etc.
Will they grow well in my Zones 9-10, Southern, CA?

Emil, I am wondering if what you are thinking of is Old Garden Roses
(frequently abbreviated OGRs), rather than Old Growth Roses?

Hmmmmm, I might be wrong in what I am asking. I always thought OGR= Old
GROWTH roses, my mistake. :-(
So Old GARDEN roses, I take it from you and Allegra, that these are the
"classic roses" from the past, correct?
Is there such a thing as Old GROWTH roses? Or such a thing does not exist?

If it is OGRs that you are thinking about, they are roses that belong to
the classes that were identified before the (arbitrary?) cut-off date of
1867.

Ok, so it is Old GARDEN roses I am thinking about.

This is a very good site from where you can learn a lot about Old Garden
Roses:
http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/

Enjoy.
Radika