Old 15-02-2010, 02:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Nan & Rich Zitney Nan & Rich Zitney is offline

Default Snow.. or not?

On Feb 9, 7:45 am, ~ jan wrote:
I'm sure many have seen the pictures of the snow coming out of DC? I'm ju

st
wondering what the ponders in that area are doing? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us

We were dealing well with the 'broken' pond before the blizzard hit.
We have a leak and it has taken the water depth down to 18 inches from
36". We could see the fish moving around and they looked fine. We are
not happy with the situation, but cannot do a new liner before spring,
need help, these 2 old farts do, and will be calling on our grown kids
to come to a fish party!!
Since the blizzard, the pole that held up the cover over half the pond
has bowed down almost into the water with the weight of the snow on
the cover. We just have had too much snow everywhere, 30" then 12" a
few days later, to even get to the fish pond. DH had to dig trails for
the dogs to 'go' in, back to the shed for a kero heater we should have
had in the house when the power was out for 48 hours, over to the
satellite dish to uncover it so we could watch tv, and the decks and
walkways. He was ecstatic when a neighbor sent a guy with a big
backhoe over to clear the over 100' driveway. Mind you he is 69 yrs
old, and going strong, but this is a lot of snow, with more predicted
for tomorrow night.
We pray our wet kids are ok down there. There is a bubbler going, and
it looks to be not frozen under the cover. We will just have to wait
for the thaw to see how we and the fish make out. It's a scarey thing
this year. First time we have been caught napping re the fish pond.
I hope everyone else's ponds & wet kids are doing well.
Nan in DE