Old 16-02-2010, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default How can I grow Tomatos in the WINTER??

In article
,
Pavel314 wrote:

On Feb 16, 7:15*am, Tonyfrost wrote:
Hello folks,
is there anyway I can grow Tomatoes in the winter?
I need to know because I run a pizza hut, and I'm sure that I could
stand up on every other
restaurant if only I could use my own tomato sauce with my own
tomatoes!!!!!!!!

My wife grows winter tomatoes in the greenhouse for our salads but
you'd need a pretty big greenhouse to supply all of your tomatoes for
making sauce over the winter, wouldn't you? You'd have to do some
backwards calculations from how many pounds of tomatoes you need each
week and the expected yield in pounds per plant to derive the number
of plants needed. Heating a greenhouse isn't cheap so producing your
own might not be economically viable.

pli

Hmmm...

I find winter hot house tomatoes not as good as summer garden grown
tomatoes. A friend has a greenhouse house and the winter grown tomatoes
are no where near as good as those grown in the summer. I am not sure
why it is that way. Perhaps not as much sun, city water instead of rain,
the outside breeze??? I find my own homemade canned tomatoes taste
better that those so called freshly grown in a green house during the
winter. Some day I will learn to make my own sun-dried tomatoes, I like
sun-dried also.

If you own/run a franchise, a you allowed to change the menu?

Enjoy Life... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.