Old 16-02-2010, 12:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default How can I grow Tomatos in the WINTER??

Hello folks,
is there anyway I can grow Tomatoes in the winter?
I need to know because I run a pizza hut, and I'm sure that I could
stand up on every other
restaurant if only I could use my own tomato sauce with my own
tomatoes!!!!!!!!
Old 16-02-2010, 02:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Feb 16, 7:15*am, Tonyfrost wrote:
Hello folks,
is there anyway I can grow Tomatoes in the winter?
I need to know because I run a pizza hut, and I'm sure that I could
stand up on every other
restaurant if only I could use my own tomato sauce with my own
tomatoes!!!!!!!!

My wife grows winter tomatoes in the greenhouse for our salads but
you'd need a pretty big greenhouse to supply all of your tomatoes for
making sauce over the winter, wouldn't you? You'd have to do some
backwards calculations from how many pounds of tomatoes you need each
week and the expected yield in pounds per plant to derive the number
of plants needed. Heating a greenhouse isn't cheap so producing your
own might not be economically viable.

pli
Old 16-02-2010, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Pavel314 wrote:

On Feb 16, 7:15*am, Tonyfrost wrote:
Hello folks,
is there anyway I can grow Tomatoes in the winter?
I need to know because I run a pizza hut, and I'm sure that I could
stand up on every other
restaurant if only I could use my own tomato sauce with my own
tomatoes!!!!!!!!

My wife grows winter tomatoes in the greenhouse for our salads but
you'd need a pretty big greenhouse to supply all of your tomatoes for
making sauce over the winter, wouldn't you? You'd have to do some
backwards calculations from how many pounds of tomatoes you need each
week and the expected yield in pounds per plant to derive the number
of plants needed. Heating a greenhouse isn't cheap so producing your
own might not be economically viable.

pli

Hmmm...

I find winter hot house tomatoes not as good as summer garden grown
tomatoes. A friend has a greenhouse house and the winter grown tomatoes
are no where near as good as those grown in the summer. I am not sure
why it is that way. Perhaps not as much sun, city water instead of rain,
the outside breeze??? I find my own homemade canned tomatoes taste
better that those so called freshly grown in a green house during the
winter. Some day I will learn to make my own sun-dried tomatoes, I like
sun-dried also.

If you own/run a franchise, a you allowed to change the menu?

Enjoy Life... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 16-02-2010, 09:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Dan L." wrote in message news:doesnotwork-
I find winter hot house tomatoes not as good as summer garden grown
tomatoes. A friend has a greenhouse house and the winter grown tomatoes
are no where near as good as those grown in the summer.

This is definitely true, but then, tomatoes grown in your own greenhouse in
the winter are still better than tomatoes grown in Mexico and shipped to
your store in the winter.
--S.

Old 16-02-2010, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Suzanne D." wrote:

"Dan L." wrote in message news:doesnotwork-
I find winter hot house tomatoes not as good as summer garden grown
tomatoes. A friend has a greenhouse house and the winter grown tomatoes
are no where near as good as those grown in the summer.

This is definitely true, but then, tomatoes grown in your own greenhouse in
the winter are still better than tomatoes grown in Mexico and shipped to
your store in the winter.
--S.

You know where they came from and how they were treated, but do they
taste different, after being cooked and seasoned and turned into tomato
sauce. If you were serving an uncooked tomato sauce, there would be a
little more justification.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100119/...ting_activists
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/19/headlines

Old 16-02-2010, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Tonyfrost wrote:
Hello folks,
is there anyway I can grow Tomatoes in the winter?
I need to know because I run a pizza hut, and I'm sure that I could
stand up on every other
restaurant if only I could use my own tomato sauce with my own
tomatoes!!!!!!!!

Essentially you need suitable temperature and light. The amount of trouble
you would have to go to depends on where you live. At Atherton not so much
at Tromso quite a lot.

How long is daylight at mid winter? What is the air temperature range from
day to night on a typical winter's day?

David

Old 19-02-2010, 11:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Tonyfrost" wrote in message

Hello folks,
is there anyway I can grow Tomatoes in the winter?
I need to know because I run a pizza hut, and I'm sure that I could
stand up on every other
restaurant if only I could use my own tomato sauce with my own
tomatoes!!!!!!!!- Hide quoted text -

Ok thanks for advice.
Old 22-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyfrost View Post

"Tonyfrost" wrote in message

Hello folks,
is there anyway I can grow Tomatoes in the winter?
I need to know because I run a pizza hut, and I'm sure that I could
stand up on every other
restaurant if only I could use my own tomato sauce with my own
tomatoes!!!!!!!!- Hide quoted text -

Ok thanks for advice.
So far you have received a lot of good advice.
Traditionally, like many of our foods, tomatoes are a summer crop. You can find ways to increase your season from earlier in Spring to later in the Autumn with the aid of heating and lights and this may help increase your yields.
My advice would be to do as people have been doing for centuries and produce enough for the winter season throughout the summer, make your sauces in the autumn and preserve them in jars ready for use when you need them. As others have so rightly said, growing tomatoes throughout the winter can be costly in heat and light and the results tend not to be as flavourful as summer crops mainly because the light quality is poorer so there is less energy available to create sugars in the fruit.

Victoria.

Winter tomatos George.com Gardening 0 22-06-2008 01:36 AM
if you can grow them there yo can grow them anywhere! Jonno[_13_] Australia 0 21-09-2007 01:13 AM
Shade grow vs. Sun Grow Areca Palms Jason Gardening 2 23-04-2004 04:05 AM
Tarwi can grow in acid soil, fix nitrogen, kill a potato soil nematode, and its seed can yield a gre briancady413 Permaculture 0 09-08-2003 08:23 AM
Which plant can stand aphid and can grow on a balcony? Victoria Clare United Kingdom 4 22-10-2002 04:15 PM