Old 17-02-2010, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Allotment agreement with Council - sign or not sign

"Rajinder Nijjhar" wrote
Council has sent me an agreement for signing against the allotment.
Should I sign it or not? I am under Reading Council.

Is there a way they can throw you out?

and sell the land to developers.

You have to sign the agreement to get the plot.
Regarding if they can move you off, this depends mainly if the site is
protected by being Statutory Allotment Land, if it is then there are
protections governed by the Environment Agency. However it is possible that
the Council could get EA agreement to close the site, happened at our last
site, but in this day and age when there is a shortage of plots in the
country I doubt it, especially if the plot holders are vocal in their
objections. I also can't see Developers being looked on kindly for such an
open space, more likely the Council might try turning it into a Town Park as
ours was (Benefits the whole community) although one wonders if that is a
first step on a long road to housing.

If it isn't SAL then you are totally at the mercy of the Council.

ps. a four line sig is the accepted max on usenet. You may get flamed, or
worse, ignored!

--
Regards
Bob Hobden