Old 18-02-2010, 11:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
JRStern JRStern is offline

Default weed control

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 03:38:41 -0800 (PST), chen
wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has a way to kill/control weeds? I have
tried every herbicide they sell at Lowe's and still can't seem to kill
the dang things. They always die initially but by the end of the week
are alive again.

Do they make "neutralizers" -- sprays that kill everything? And can I
spray it and still plant some seedlings in MAy-June?

Yes they make kill-alls, but that's about all I know about it.

And, if you want one that will kill and go away, that's much harder.

Of course, no matter what you use, weeds will come back, new seeds
arrive, sprout, and grow - fast! That's half of what makes them
successful weeds! It will be next to impossible to clear an area if
there are weeds just a few feet away. In my area, dandelions colonize
and grow to significant size in a week or two, no matter what.

If all else fails, how about you dig out a fair patch of soil, mulch
it seriously off in a corner somewhere, and refill with clean soil?

--

I was actually going to ask here more about tips and techniques for
hand-weeding, say, while standing up, rather than stooping and pulling

J.