Old 22-02-2010, 11:39 AM
VictoriaJS VictoriaJS is offline
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyfrost View Post
On Feb 19, 7:40*am, "aluckyguess" wrote:
Go to a hydroponics store, buy some lights. Maybe you can incorporate it
into the store.

"Tonyfrost" wrote in message

Hello folks,
is there anyway I can grow Tomatoes in the winter?
I need to know because I run a pizza hut, and I'm sure that I could
stand up on every other
restaurant if only I could use my own tomato sauce with my own
tomatoes!!!!!!!!- Hide quoted text -

Ok thanks for advice.
So far you have received a lot of good advice.
Traditionally, like many of our foods, tomatoes are a summer crop. You can find ways to increase your season from earlier in Spring to later in the Autumn with the aid of heating and lights and this may help increase your yields.
My advice would be to do as people have been doing for centuries and produce enough for the winter season throughout the summer, make your sauces in the autumn and preserve them in jars ready for use when you need them. As others have so rightly said, growing tomatoes throughout the winter can be costly in heat and light and the results tend not to be as flavourful as summer crops mainly because the light quality is poorer so there is less energy available to create sugars in the fruit.

Victoria.