Old 19-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Cass

Default Evergreen Companion Hedge

In article , CG
wrote:

"Cass" wrote in message
In article , CG
wrote:

A few questions come to mine.

What is the orientation of the fence? HOw much sun will the roses get?

Roses aren't evergreen in KC. Do you intend to screen with a different
plant?

How wide are you willing to let these plants grow?

If the orientation is right and you're satisfied with greenery during
the growing season, then a row of rubust climbers grown as shrubs will
do the deed. William Baffin and John Cabot probably get big enough for
your purposes. I hope Theo will chime in with varieties that do well
there. Here, I'd plant Sally Holmes, which is 6 feet tall and 7 feet
wide, but you can't rely on that size in your climate because of winter
kill.

The fence will be on the east side of the roses, so they'll be getting
western sun for the most part. The backyard faces southwest. I wanted some
evergreens (conifers or other) to plant behind them for the evergreen, but
not sure how that will work.

I know only one thing: don't plant all the same thing in a row. Sure as
shootin one will fail or die and you'll have the missing front tooth
look. I'm all in favor of planting 3 of one thing, 2 of another, or
something like that. Be sure to ask at a reputable nursery whether your
evergreens have invasive roots (you don't want them).

The hardest thing is to resist the compulsion to plant your itty bitty
new roses too close to your itty bitty new everygreens. Best of all
worlds is to plant something you can shear if it intrudes. Then plant
smaller roses in front. The Fairy is cute and not so little - 4 or 5
ft. wide - and really hardy.