Old 25-02-2010, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Elderberry Pruning

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
If it were me, I'd cut the strongest shoots back by a
third prior to
or immediately after planting and the thinnest shoots
back to the
first pair of buds. S. nigra aurea is not quite as
vigorous early on
as the species proper, so I'd be less inclined to
butcher young plants
immediately. Once well established, you can hack
them about as
necessary, although you'll have your work cut out to
try and keep a
hedge of it at just 4ft.

Thanks for that Dave, I've made a note. I agree, it may
be difficult to keep low, but I believe they're easy to
propagate from cuttings. If parts get too leggy, I
could replace with new plants.