Old 24-02-2010, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Elderberry Pruning

I've just received a pack of 25 Sambucus nigra 'Aurea'
from a hedging company. I've split some with other
allotmenteers. the plants are 2' high and are just
showing signs of budding. The question we're asking is
when and what to prune.

There seems to be some conflicting information on the
net. Some suggest cutting down to ground level in early
Spring. Another states that you should cut new growth
by half, but remove this growth down to ground level,
the following year. I'd like to keep the row, to a
maximum height of 4'. Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bertie

Old 25-02-2010, 05:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

If it were me, I'd cut the strongest shoots back by a third prior to
or immediately after planting and the thinnest shoots back to the
first pair of buds. S. nigra aurea is not quite as vigorous early on
as the species proper, so I'd be less inclined to butcher young plants
immediately. Once well established, you can hack them about as
necessary, although you'll have your work cut out to try and keep a
hedge of it at just 4ft.

Old 25-02-2010, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bertie Doe
writes
I've just received a pack of 25 Sambucus nigra 'Aurea' from a hedging
company.

You *buy* elderberry plants?

Jeez!

Roy.

--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 25-02-2010, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
If it were me, I'd cut the strongest shoots back by a
third prior to
or immediately after planting and the thinnest shoots
back to the
first pair of buds. S. nigra aurea is not quite as
vigorous early on
as the species proper, so I'd be less inclined to
butcher young plants
immediately. Once well established, you can hack
them about as
necessary, although you'll have your work cut out to
try and keep a
hedge of it at just 4ft.

Thanks for that Dave, I've made a note. I agree, it may
be difficult to keep low, but I believe they're easy to
propagate from cuttings. If parts get too leggy, I
could replace with new plants.

Old 25-02-2010, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roy Bailey" wrote in message
In article , Bertie
Doe writes
I've just received a pack of 25 Sambucus nigra
'Aurea' from a hedging company.

You *buy* elderberry plants?

Jeez!

It was a joint decision between the 3 allotments to go
for the 'Aurea' - rather than the species proper,
referred to by Dave. All the stuff I've seen in
hedgerows, isn't Aurea. We also thought that a cost
over just over a quid per plant, it wasn't worth the
risk of annoying local farmers.

Old 26-02-2010, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bertie Doe
writes

"Roy Bailey" wrote in message
In article , Bertie Doe
writes
I've just received a pack of 25 Sambucus nigra 'Aurea' from a hedging
company.

You *buy* elderberry plants?

Jeez!

It was a joint decision between the 3 allotments to go for the 'Aurea'
- rather than the species proper, referred to by Dave. All the stuff
I've seen in hedgerows, isn't Aurea. We also thought that a cost over
just over a quid per plant, it wasn't worth the risk of annoying local
farmers.

I quote Wikipedia (which tends to be accurate in matters away from show
business and sport):

"Sambucus nigra is a species of elder native to most of Europe,
northwest Africa and southwest Asia. It is most commonly called just
Elder or Elderberry, but also Black Elder, European Elder, European
Elderberry, European Black Elderberry, Common Elder, or Elder Bush when
distinction from other species of Sambucus is needed."

So I can't see that there is any difference between the plants you have
bought and the wild ones which grow in such profusion in this area that
they are an arboreal weed.

Instead of pulling out and destroying all the little elder plants that
grow in parts of my garden each year, I must pot them up. Could be a
nice little earner!

Roy.

--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 26-02-2010, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Roy Bailey
writes
In article , Bertie Doe
writes

"Roy Bailey" wrote in message
In article , Bertie Doe
writes
[...]

The difference is that the plants he has bought have yellow foliage.

Instead of pulling out and destroying all the little elder plants that
grow in parts of my garden each year, I must pot them up. Could be a
nice little earner!

Roy.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Elderberry Cutting Steve Newport United Kingdom 16 12-09-2008 04:01 AM
Elderberry bush? Allview Gardening 13 04-06-2005 05:29 PM
Elderberry wick with blackfly! Pip United Kingdom 14 01-06-2004 11:18 AM
Elderberry wine & twitch MDHJWH Australia 1 27-10-2003 09:32 AM
Elderberry Jabber United Kingdom 9 02-05-2003 06:57 PM