Old 19-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Emil

Default Old Growth Roses?

"Radika Kesavan" wrote in message
Emil wrote:
Hi everybody, :-)

So I have been seeing the term Old Growth Roses being mentioned alot.

Does
this mean roses that are "classics?" Roses that have been grown from the
1900's, stuff like that?
Can I buy them online? Are they similar to the HT roses that I have? Any
tips on buying them, etc etc.
Will they grow well in my Zones 9-10, Southern, CA?

Emil, I am wondering if what you are thinking of is Old Garden Roses
(frequently abbreviated OGRs), rather than Old Growth Roses?

Hmmmmm, I might be wrong in what I am asking. I always thought OGR= Old
GROWTH roses, my mistake. :-(
So Old GARDEN roses, I take it from you and Allegra, that these are the
"classic roses" from the past, correct?
Is there such a thing as Old GROWTH roses? Or such a thing does not exist?

If it is OGRs that you are thinking about, they are roses that belong to
the classes that were identified before the (arbitrary?) cut-off date of
1867.

Ok, so it is Old GARDEN roses I am thinking about.

This is a very good site from where you can learn a lot about Old Garden
Roses:
http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/

Enjoy.
Radika