Old 19-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Daniel Hanna

Default Breaking Dormancy...

In Susan H. Simko wrote:
How long does it normally take for a rose to break dormancy once
planted? I bought a box J&P Pristine from Lowes two weeks ago and she
has yet to break dormancy. The pith of the canes look fine once the
dead ends were cut off. I'm stumped and impatient especially now that
I have a J&P sale catalog at home. grin Do I SP her and order a new
Pristine from J&P?

Susan, you will have the answer to this in your own rose bed. If the
remainder of roses you planted are all well into foliage and buds, and
your Pristine hasn't shown a sign, you have a fizzer.

I am aware that some roses are earlier starters than others, but in the
average garden they do tend to sprout from naked to growth within a few
weeks of each other. Unless you have some other factor, eg the late
bush is in deep shade.

Go get a new one and forget waiting for the one you have. If you want
to give the Pristine the benefit of the doubt, pot the current one. You
never know.