Old 26-02-2010, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Elderberry Pruning

In message , Roy Bailey
writes
In article , Bertie Doe
writes

"Roy Bailey" wrote in message
In article , Bertie Doe
writes
I've just received a pack of 25 Sambucus nigra 'Aurea' from a
hedging company.

You *buy* elderberry plants?

Jeez!

It was a joint decision between the 3 allotments to go for the 'Aurea'
- rather than the species proper, referred to by Dave. All the stuff
I've seen in hedgerows, isn't Aurea. We also thought that a cost over
over a quid per plant, it wasn't worth the risk of annoying local
farmers.

I quote Wikipedia (which tends to be accurate in matters away from show
business and sport):

"Sambucus nigra is a species of elder native to most of Europe,
northwest Africa and southwest Asia. It is most commonly called just
Elder or Elderberry, but also Black Elder, European Elder, European
Elderberry, European Black Elderberry, Common Elder, or Elder Bush when
distinction from other species of Sambucus is needed."

So I can't see that there is any difference between the plants you have
bought and the wild ones which grow in such profusion in this area that
they are an arboreal weed.

The difference is that the plants he has bought have yellow foliage.

Instead of pulling out and destroying all the little elder plants that
grow in parts of my garden each year, I must pot them up. Could be a
nice little earner!

Roy.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley