Old 19-04-2003, 07:32 AM
mamathang

Default Newbie Orchidaholic has some cool news...

Hello againg ang thank you for the nice welcome.

You may have read my delurk post where I mentioned that a new leaf was
coming up on a dendrobium I salvaged from Loew's for $4. Well, it
seems that I was mistaken, but you won't hear me complaining - the new
growth is looking more like a spike. It is almost 2" high and I am
certain it is not a leaf. I'm shocked as this poor baby is what was
left after I cut back all the rotting gunk and threw away half of the
plant. Then I trashed the soggy peat it came in and repotted it in a
clay pot with a mix of bark chips, perlite and charcoal. If I
remember correctly, this plant has green/yellow flowers with a violet
lip and was so unusual that I eagerly parted with the $4 just in case
I could get it to grow and maybe even flower.

I am also seeing the first flower buds on the spike of my Oncidium
(Colm. Wildcat "Leopard"). There are about 8 separate spots that look
like a flower might be in there, but a bloom is already forming about
halfway up from the base of the spike and I can feel a little bump on
the two just above that.

I finally got my hands on some Consan 20 at Elliott's Hardware in
Dallas. Elliott's is an old-style hardware store where one can go in
and be asked at least a dozen times if you need any help.

I have some space on my domain, a digital camera and cable modem
access to the internet. All I need is a few hours uninterrupted and
I'll share them with you. With 3 active boys (4 if you count my man)
and Easter arriving, it may be next weekend before you hear from me
again. Holiday wishes to you all.

Janeen