Old 19-04-2003, 07:32 AM
mamathang

Default Newbie Orchidaholic has some cool news...

Hello againg ang thank you for the nice welcome.

You may have read my delurk post where I mentioned that a new leaf was
coming up on a dendrobium I salvaged from Loew's for $4. Well, it
seems that I was mistaken, but you won't hear me complaining - the new
growth is looking more like a spike. It is almost 2" high and I am
certain it is not a leaf. I'm shocked as this poor baby is what was
left after I cut back all the rotting gunk and threw away half of the
plant. Then I trashed the soggy peat it came in and repotted it in a
clay pot with a mix of bark chips, perlite and charcoal. If I
remember correctly, this plant has green/yellow flowers with a violet
lip and was so unusual that I eagerly parted with the $4 just in case
I could get it to grow and maybe even flower.

I am also seeing the first flower buds on the spike of my Oncidium
(Colm. Wildcat "Leopard"). There are about 8 separate spots that look
like a flower might be in there, but a bloom is already forming about
halfway up from the base of the spike and I can feel a little bump on
the two just above that.

I finally got my hands on some Consan 20 at Elliott's Hardware in
Dallas. Elliott's is an old-style hardware store where one can go in
and be asked at least a dozen times if you need any help.

I have some space on my domain, a digital camera and cable modem
access to the internet. All I need is a few hours uninterrupted and
I'll share them with you. With 3 active boys (4 if you count my man)
and Easter arriving, it may be next weekend before you hear from me
again. Holiday wishes to you all.

Janeen
Old 19-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Susan Erickson

On 18 Apr 2003 23:18:01 -0700, (mamathang)
wrote:

[...]

It sounds more like the Den is growing a cane. Which is actually
better. New vegetative growth speaks to long life. A flower
spike can turn up as a last gasp effort on the plants part to
propagate. Since you remember the flower for this plant, you
probably remember the shape of the inflorescence. Did it come
from the base of the growth or from a point near the top of a
cane? The next one will come from a similar location.

Happy Easter all.
SuE
Old 19-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Diana Kulaga

Can't add to what Sue said, so will just say "Good Job", Janeen! Sounds
like you've got things well in hand......

Diana

Old 27-04-2003, 07:20 AM
mamathang

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message arthlink.net...
Can't add to what Sue said, so will just say "Good Job", Janeen! Sounds
like you've got things well in hand......

Diana

Diana and Sue,

Is an offset the same thing? This thing is coming out at the top of
the cane, just below where I cut off the last spike. I'm not sure
that it looks like a new spike, but I've never seen a Dendrobium in
action before and the drawings in the one book that mentioned an
"offset" seemed to represent what I am seeing here.

Hopefully I'll have pictures up to show you by late Sunday and then I
can get your expert opinions.

Janeen