Old 28-02-2010, 03:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
Lelandite Lelandite is offline

Default Black Heirloom Tomatoes

I'll be growing some black heirloom tomatoes this season for the first
time. Black Prince and Black from Tula. Although I never tasted a
black tomato I hear they are very good indeed. As a tomato lover, I'd
like to hear from others who may have tried them. I really enjoy a
tomato that has a lot of flavor and not so much on the mild side like
some yellow tomatoes I have tasted. We use most of our tomatoes fresh
as slicing tomatoes. I do realize that most heirlooms don't produce a
large crop as do hybrids. My crop will be a mix this year between
heirloom and hybrid varieties. I have never grown heirloom tomatoes up
till now and I'm not quite sure what to expect. The hybrids will kind of
be like my insurance policy so I at least end up with a few tomatoes for
the table

Rich

Please do let us know how these black heirlooms' turn out for
you. Always fun and interesting to learn about something one
has never tried. I've never heard of black heirlooms....did you
find these thru a catalog? by seed?

I have had a different experience with red/yellow heirlooms. My
plants were great producer's and even the yellow ones were
tasty and meaty.

Donna
in WA 8&9