Old 28-02-2010, 02:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lelandite Lelandite is offline

Default Weed Field Tomatoes

Life can give us unexpected abundance! But tomatoes?
Nice friend!

Donna
in WA
8-9

I just can't resist telling this story! Many years ago, a friend
invited my wife and I to a picnic. There were about 50 people there.
Beer, fresh catfish and trout frying in cast iron pans, a big butcher
kettle over a wood fire loaded with kettle meat from last falls
butchering. It was a great time we had here in the hills of PA. Come
about 7:00 pm that evening just as the picnic was beginning to wind
down, he ask me: would you like some tomatoes to take home??? Well
being the tomato lover that I am, I said: yep, sure would! He then
preceded to lead my wife and myself up a hill to a big flat field full
of weeds about chest high. Them weed had to be at least 3 maybe 4 foot
high. After a bit of searching around he said: yep here they are.
Tomatoes sprawling all over the ground in every direction and some of
the most beautiful tomatoes I've ever seen. We left the picnic on a
grateful note with a grocery bag which contained at least 30 tomatoes
and they were great! All grown in a weed field. Can you imagine that?

Rich