Old 28-02-2010, 08:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Weed Field Tomatoes

I just can't resist telling this story! Many years ago, a friend
invited my wife and I to a picnic. There were about 50 people there.
Beer, fresh catfish and trout frying in cast iron pans, a big butcher
kettle over a wood fire loaded with kettle meat from last falls
butchering. It was a great time we had here in the hills of PA. Come
about 7:00 pm that evening just as the picnic was beginning to wind
down, he ask me: would you like some tomatoes to take home??? Well
being the tomato lover that I am, I said: yep, sure would! He then
preceded to lead my wife and myself up a hill to a big flat field full
of weeds about chest high. Them weed had to be at least 3 maybe 4 foot
high. After a bit of searching around he said: yep here they are.
Tomatoes sprawling all over the ground in every direction and some of
the most beautiful tomatoes I've ever seen. We left the picnic on a
grateful note with a grocery bag which contained at least 30 tomatoes
and they were great! All grown in a weed field. Can you imagine that?

Rich

Old 28-02-2010, 05:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

"EVP MAN" wrote

high. After a bit of searching around he said: yep here they are.
Tomatoes sprawling all over the ground in every direction and some of
the most beautiful tomatoes I've ever seen. We left the picnic on a
grateful note with a grocery bag which contained at least 30 tomatoes
and they were great! All grown in a weed field. Can you imagine that?

Sure! No staking really works with container grown sorts so they 'slump
over to the ground' and you still gets loads of them.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

"EVP MAN" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Rich,
Many years ago we used to find tomatoes growing along the railroad tracks in
SW Philadelphia. We couldn't figure out why someone would plant vegetables
in such an unlikely spot till a few weeks later we saw some guys on a track
maintenance car eating sandwiches on the back of the rail car and tossing
the remains onto the rail bed beside the tracks.

Sorry to say, days before PCBs were a concern, that we gathered up a lot of
those tomatoes and took them home to eat.

Jon

Old 01-03-2010, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Greetings Jon. When I was a kid we used to go over to the city dump and
shoot rats. There were tomatoes growing all over the place but we never
ate any because of the unsanitary conditions they were growing in.
Guess they will grow just about anywhere.

Rich

Old 02-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Registered User

Smile

EVP MAN;878841]Greetings Jon. When I was a kid we used to go over to the city dump and
shoot rats. There were tomatoes growing all over the place but we never
ate any because of the unsanitary conditions they were growing in.
Guess they will grow just about anywhere.

Rich

sounds like u not only had a great time but got a wonderful haul of maters
to boot . cyaaaaaa, sockiescat.