Old 03-03-2010, 05:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
Wildbilly Wildbilly is offline

Default Black Heirloom Tomatoes

In article ,
sockiescat wrote:

Wildbilly;878842]In article
,
(EVP MAN) wrote:
-
I'll be growing four different cherry tomato plants this year. Husky
red cherry, yellow pear, red pear and also chocolate cherry which I
can't wait to try. The chocolate cherry looks very dark so I guess it
would be considered a black tomato also. Nothing like snacking on a
bowl of fresh picked cherry tomatoes

Rich-

Well, they're not black, Glacier Tomato,
http://seedrack.com/10.html
but the shuck and jive description is tomatoes in 45 days! How can a
feller resist? Bought these (and Caspian Pink, and Hawaiian Pineapple)
after throwing out other excess tomato seedlings. Guess I'll be shoe
horning tomatoes in again this year.

http://tinyurl.com/yfg6htt
[url]http://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/19/headlines[/

im glad that u brought up the subject of maters EVP Man because i think
might try and grow cherokee as well as black crim maters also--lets hope

they grow for me lol.
thanks everyone for all the info as it makes it a lot easier to see what
ones
ppl have tried and gives a broader base to make decisions on.
now the one thing though i would like to know is are these maters able
be used in canning or are they mostly the type that u use for slicing
and freezing for later use.
i get confused as there are aso many types out there anymore and i
know
u have to really watch the acid levels if u are going to can maters.
thanks again everyone. cyaaaaaaaaaa, sockiescat.

IIRC the safest way to can tomatoes is with a pressure cooker. Sauces
are usually made with "Roma" type tomatoes. Romas are low in juice which
make them good for canning. Acidity may be more important at lower
temps. Why not check at rec.food.preserving ?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100119/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_israel_arresting_activists
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/19/headlines