Old 04-03-2010, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default Plant Propagation Machines

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

For winter reading I just got this book. A very interesting book! So Far!
"Creative Propagation 2ed by Peter Thompson" ISBN-10: 0881926817
This book is has my brown thumb getting a little sore. This book is
packed with information and is going to take me a while to absorb.

Expanding my garden horizon here. Learning to make new plants from
cuttings. I want lots of shrubs - cheap, time is not important. This
book has my brain cooking (bad). It talks about these Plant Cloning
Machines. I am hard pressed to find any negative information about these
machines. Other machines are in the hundreds of dollars. I could buy
five "Daisy 8" machines over the "Power Cloner 45" or the "EZ Clone
Machine - 30". Are they worth getting?

I was looking at getting a cheap one to start off with, the
"Daisy Cloner 8" it was the cheapest that I could find.
http://www.amazon.com/Atlantis-Hydro...p/B001JL0BLM/r
ef=pd_sbs_k_2

Are these machines worth it?
Will I regret the cheap "Daisy Cloner 8" to start of with?
Is it better to just put cuttings into some cloning gel?

I know I can't use apple fruit seeds reliably and I do not want some
grafted tree onto cheap or shorten root stock. Can I make a full size
fruit tree or a rose bush from a cutting that matches the parent?

Enjoy Life... Dan

I've tried air layering and gave it up. I created a propagation system
for azaleas and other hard woods and gave it up which used a mister on a
timer. Maybe 15 per 100 took and then still lost more in time. I've
planted 3 node grape and rose and other hard woods over winter and you
guessed it I gave it up.
Still I propagate all sorts of plants. How by placing a brick on low
branches. Root layer is my modus operand exclusively almost. Japanese
maples just from seed I can't graft either. Can divide and do just
about anything that likes it like day lilies and similar plants like
hellebores or hosta. Been doing this for awhile. They make good gifts.
Still I will try air layering of tree peonies yet again. Challenge
and fun. Good book to look at " Plants-A-Plenty". Many stars and about
whereas my Technical garden books are somewhere.
Guess I should have seeked out a course or person who knew what was
missing in my knowledge. But I was working shift work and the plant
work did not make the top ten of things to do. A regret.
A minor one.

Bill

Bill

I looked up "air layering propagation", interesting method. I was unable
to find any information on "root layering propagation" from google. Does
this book "Plants-A-Plenty" have information on "Root Layering"?

Still, have you tried those expensive cloning machines?

Enjoy Life... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.