Old 06-03-2010, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OhioGuy OhioGuy is offline

Default front lawn gardening

In about 10 days, we are moving in to our new house. The
neighborhood is a subdivision that has farm fields about a tenth of a
mile away. I don't see any sign of decent sized gardens out here, any
raised beds, or really much gardening at all. There are simply large
yards that people mow, evidently. I'd like to have a large garden, but
the situation is that while I can do a little of this along our fence,
the best place for it in our location (due to sun, etc.) would be our
front yard.

I come from a farm background, and while I like flowers, I also like
plants that give me something to eat. I tend to plant raised beds and
borders with things that accomplish both.

While I'd like to simply plant the front yard to pumpkins and sweet
corn, I have a feeling that the neighbors would at the very least resent
it, and probably they would end up trying to cite me for some nonsense
about my yard not meeting the neighborhood standards of looking like a
golf course. I'm sure I'll already have some of them annoyed with us,
because my wife is planning to put up a clothesline to harness solar
power. (the old fashioned way - drying clothes with the sun)

So, in order to "break" the neighbors in to the idea of front lawn
gardening, I was wondering what tried and true methods some of the rest
of you have used?

I'm especially looking for productive vegetables that either have
striking foliage or flowers.

Thanks!