Old 06-03-2010, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default front lawn gardening

In about 10 days, we are moving in to our new house. The
neighborhood is a subdivision that has farm fields about a tenth of a
mile away. I don't see any sign of decent sized gardens out here, any
raised beds, or really much gardening at all. There are simply large
yards that people mow, evidently. I'd like to have a large garden, but
the situation is that while I can do a little of this along our fence,
the best place for it in our location (due to sun, etc.) would be our
front yard.

I come from a farm background, and while I like flowers, I also like
plants that give me something to eat. I tend to plant raised beds and
borders with things that accomplish both.

While I'd like to simply plant the front yard to pumpkins and sweet
corn, I have a feeling that the neighbors would at the very least resent
it, and probably they would end up trying to cite me for some nonsense
about my yard not meeting the neighborhood standards of looking like a
golf course. I'm sure I'll already have some of them annoyed with us,
because my wife is planning to put up a clothesline to harness solar
power. (the old fashioned way - drying clothes with the sun)

So, in order to "break" the neighbors in to the idea of front lawn
gardening, I was wondering what tried and true methods some of the rest
of you have used?

I'm especially looking for productive vegetables that either have
striking foliage or flowers.

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2010, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Ohioguy" wrote in message
So, in order to "break" the neighbors in to the idea of front lawn
gardening, I was wondering what tried and true methods some of the rest of
you have used?

I haven't done this yet due to costs, but eventually I'd like to get some
good permanent landscaping done in my front yard, with attractive edible
bushes, fruit trees, herbs, and small plots for pretty seasonal vegetables.
Corn and pumpkins scream "GARDEN," but certain types of peppers, brassicas,
artichokes, and legumes can be very beautiful, and may even fool people into
believing they are useless. Herbs are nice to tuck into empty spaces just
like pansies or alyssum, and they are usually just as pretty. For flowers,
try edible kinds such as chamomile, nasturtium, evening primrose, saffron
crocus, violets, or amaranth. Grow vining beans, peas, kiwis, or grapes
over an arbor. Plant a circle of small fruit trees in the middle of the
yard, and put some benches under them. In areas where you want some "lawn"
or other green groundcover, plant lemongrass, onions, or spreading herbs
like oregano, mint, or thyme--then you can walk on it and also go out and
cut some ever time you seed to season something in the kitchen!

I am really looking forward to seeing other replies to this, because I love
the idea of edible landscaping and am always looking for new ideas.
--S.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 16:12:40 -0500, Ohioguy wrote:

[...]

The main thing is not to make it look like a "garden." I haven't
tried it here since we have plenty of space in the back. I found a
book on colorful vegetables that seems like a good way to start. I
don't remember the name of the book and I can't find my copy right
now. Rainbow chard was one thing.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 07-03-2010, 12:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I'm especially looking for productive vegetables that either have
striking foliage or flowers.

Thanks!

Artichokes, both globe and Jerusalem. Climbing peas or beans. Grapes.
Herbs. Many flowers are edible. Fruit trees. My personal favourite is the
globe artichoke for striking foliage. I like the quince tree for all round
beauty, it has great flowers, attractive leaves and good looking tasty
fruit.

David

Old 07-03-2010, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mar 6, 3:12 pm, Ohioguy wrote:

So, in order to "break" the neighbors in to the idea of front lawn
gardening, I was wondering what tried and true methods some of the rest
of you have used?

I'm especially looking for productive vegetables that either have
striking foliage or flowers.

Thanks!

Andy comments:

I give the produce different names when a neighbor asks.....

For instance, summer squash is a "Scandinavian Sunset Plant". Just
remember to pick the squash off before anyone sees it. The flowers
are
beautiful...

Okra is called "Japanese Orchids". Again, remember to pick the okra
early in the morning, every day...

Cucumber vines are "French Climbing Ivy".

I haven't come up with a good disguise for watermellons yet, tho.

This technique works best for vegetables that need to be picked
regularly, and whose fruits are not observable from the street....

An exception is Swiss Chard, which is "Romanian Fern"...... It makes
a good border plant.......

Good luck, and if you come up with something for watermellons,
please publish it .....

:)))) Andy in Eureka, Texas

Old 07-03-2010, 09:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
AndyS wrote:

On Mar 6, 3:12 pm, Ohioguy wrote:

[...]

Genius.

How water flower offspring?

Bill

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
http://www.globalissues.org/article/75/world-military-spending

Old 07-03-2010, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

AndyS wrote:
On Mar 6, 3:12 pm, Ohioguy wrote:

[...]

Parsley makes an excellent border plant too.

Good luck, and if you come up with something for watermellons,
please publish it .....

:)))) Andy in Eureka, Texas

Evil. Pure evil. I love it.

David
Old 08-03-2010, 08:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Ohioguy" wrote in message
[...]

plant some sunflowers with the corn to confuse the neighbours or maybe a
marijuana plant or 2 as well.

rob

Old 14-03-2010, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mar 8, 2:51 am, "George" wrote:

plant some sunflowers with the corn to confuse the neighbours or maybe a
marijuana plant or 2 as well.

rob

Andy comments:
Well, here in Navarro County, Texas, we have the best marijuana
growing soil in the state......
....... It is called a "Mexican Maple Bush".......

Of course, I know nothing of this............

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Old 14-03-2010, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
AndyS wrote:

On Mar 8, 2:51 am, "George" wrote:

plant some sunflowers with the corn to confuse the neighbours or maybe a
marijuana plant or 2 as well.

rob

Andy comments:
Well, here in Navarro County, Texas, we have the best marijuana
growing soil in the state......
...... It is called a "Mexican Maple Bush".......

Of course, I know nothing of this............

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Just incase you never heard this.

Naked In Eureka 4:01 William Eaton Naked In Eureka New Age AAC
audio file 100 12 3/14/10 3:42 PM

--
http://myloc.gov/Exhibitions/voicesfromafghanistan/Pages/Default.aspx

Old 18-03-2010, 03:29 AM
Registered User

Smile

Bill who putters;880194]In article
,
AndyS
wrote:

On Mar 8, 2:51 am, "George" wrote:

plant some sunflowers with the corn to confuse the neighbours or maybe a
marijuana plant or 2 as well.

rob

Andy comments:
Well, here in Navarro County, Texas, we have the best marijuana
growing soil in the state......
...... It is called a "Mexican Maple Bush".......

Of course, I know nothing of this............

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Just incase you never heard this.

Naked In Eureka 4:01 William Eaton Naked In Eureka New Age AAC
audio file 100 12 3/14/10 3:42 PM

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
http://www.globalissues.org/article/...itary-spending
http://myloc.gov/Exhibitions/voicesf...s/Default.aspx

sounds like u live in an area that has strict rules and regulations about
having a manicured lawn and making things look pretty--kind of a useless
thing in these days of ppl going hungry .
corn and sunflowers put together sounds really good along with all the other
suggestions--i would also just plant in food with the flowers and if ppl dont like it to bad--as long as it is esthetically pleasing and isnt all a huge mess what can they really say. good luck with your garden .
also i hope u do put up a clothesline, i wouldnt be without mine as i find drying clothes in dryer time consuming--especially at gardening time when i want to be in garden lolol.
cyaaaaaaaaa, socliescat.
Old 18-03-2010, 11:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"sockiescat" wrote in message

Bill who putters;880194]In article
,
AndyS
wrote:
-
-

http://tinyurl.com/4ucbrl
http://tinyurl.com/yby6ws4

sounds like u live in an area that has strict rules and regulations
about
having a manicured lawn and making things look pretty--kind of a useless

thing in these days of ppl going hungry .
corn and sunflowers put together sounds really good along with all the
other
suggestions--i would also just plant in food with the flowers and if ppl
dont like it to bad--as long as it is esthetically pleasing and isnt all
a huge mess what can they really say. good luck with your garden .
also i hope u do put up a clothesline, i wouldnt be without mine as i
find drying clothes in dryer time consuming--especially at gardening
time when i want to be in garden lolol.
cyaaaaaaaaa, socliescat.

--
sockiescat

Exactly. I wouldn't get along in a neighbourhood like that. I like my
clothesline and if I wanted to plant veggies in my front yard, I wouldn't
want someone telling me I couldn't. In these days, everything we can do to
cut hydro consumption and food costs should be applauded. Also, I think a
well tended vegetable garden is a thing of beauty. I wish I was physically
able to do it. .....Sharon in SW Ontario Canada

Old 24-03-2010, 11:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

you could go the whole french potager route http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potager_du_roi
tell them that Loiuis the 14th had one and they will all want one!

Old 24-03-2010, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
ciarandeb wrote:

you could go the whole french potager route
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potager_du_roi
tell them that Loiuis the 14th had one and they will all want one!

Always find gardening history wonderful.

Thanks

Anyone know of a book dealing with garden histories ? I'm confined to
Japan for the most part with many haphazard miscellaneous tidbits all
about .