Old 07-03-2010, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen Wolstenholme Stephen Wolstenholme is offline

Default Ceanothus question

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 11:32:28 +0000, Kath
wrote:

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 00:07:31 GMT, Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from "Syke" contains these words:

I have two Ceanothus shrubs, the leaves on both of which have turned
completely brown. Are they probably dead, presumably because of the cold,
or is there anything that likely can be done to save them?

Wait and see. I have two; the prostrate one has been badly browned a
(it's in a low, sheltered corner of the garden where freezing air
collects and covers the bush).
I shall give it until at least June to see if it puts out new growth.
The tall one ( "Italian Skies", I think) is completely exposed to icy
east wind from Siberia but is unharmed, leaves green. That gives me
hope that the stems of the prostrate one have also withstood the cold
of this winter and it's just the leaves that have been damaged

Janet

GQT said that they are VERY short lived. Mine lasted less than 10 years, my husbands' one
is hanging on after 17 yrs. They were both the same variety.

What do other people think? Is this true?

Kath

How short is short? There is a Ceanothus in my garden that was already
fully grown when I moved in. That was 25 years ago so I would think
the Ceanothus is at least 30 years old. I've no idea which species it
is. It's deciduous, blue flowers and shiny leaves.

Steve

Neural network applications, help and support.