Old 19-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default transplanting corn

Zphysics1 said:

Why not just sow them in peat pots and plant the whole thing when ready to
put in your garden?

That's what I am trying to say. I started some corn in the garden and the
birds are having a great snack.
I have sweet ruby corn which is about $6 a small packet and I would like to
make sure the corn grows -- not as a bird snack. ;-)

I've taken to netting over my corn plantings, as the birds will pull out the
young shoots to get the remaining kernal.

The one time I transplanted corn, the birds had an easy time pulling out the peat
pellets and making a real mess of everything.

(I have put covers over any sunflowers I plant, too, as the birds will snap them
up as they start to emerge. The worst offenders are cardinals.)
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)