Old 08-03-2010, 04:46 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010, SMS wrote:

Bill Grey wrote:
"Gordon" wrote in message
"SMS" wrote in message
1. GORE-TEX® lining (or other breathable waterproof membrane lining) for
breathable waterproofness (nearly all mid to high end boots have this).
NEVER buy hiking boots that lack a breathable waterproof membrane lining.

Again TOTAL TRIPE! Why bother with extra linings when you don't need them?
As I stated - the ability of goretex linings to breath is restricted by
the ability of the leather to breathe, so why bother with the goretex?
It's a gimmick designed to con punters.

I'll try to convert you Gordon - have a look at:-

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/goretex.html

I love the stuff :-)

I doubt if you'll have any success. "Anti-GoreTex" is like a religion. Facts
have no effect.

And your "Pro-Gore-Tex" isn't a religion?

It's not really clear if you understand the material, or are simply
spouting what you read in the books. Your cutting and pasting right
down to the Vibram lug soles is a good giveaway.

People aren't anti-Gore-Tex. They are simply questioning the value of
it in boots, indeed questioning your blind acceptance of Gore-Tex in
boots.

I've worn Gore-Tex or "Gore-Tex like" jackets for a quarter century,
indeed feel Gore-Tex wins out over the other workalikes. I even have a
winter parka that has one of the workalikes in it, it is less important
there since snow doesn't tend to be as wet as rain. There will never be a
time when I don't have a Gore-Tex or workalike rain jacket.

But I know the limitations. If I sweat in something, Gore-Tex isn't going
to make me sweat less, it's just going to help get rid of that sweat. But,
it's adding another layer, so better to think of it as neutral, a Gore-Tex
lining won't make a jacket worse. But it can't improve what already
exists, which is why there are Gore-Tex jackets walking around with
underarm zippers. If I wear a fleece jacket underneath, that will make
me sweat and even collect some of the sweat, the Gore-Tex will merely mean
I wont' sweat like I'm wearing a plastic bag.

Gore-Tex won't protect your boots. It may help to keep your feet dry, but
that depends on how well your sweat can dissipate through whatever outlets
it can. Your feet won't get wet from outside water, but only if the seams
are all well done and the Gore-Tex well protected (ie another layer to
make you sweat) and as pointed out, so long as the water doesn't come in
over the top.

There are precautions one can take to keep feet dry, and that includes
proper waterproofing of the outside and of course hoping the stitching is
good and holds up. For most rain, that will be fine. If you're actually
walking through water, something else may be appropriate.

Note that the US army jungle boots from the Vietnam Era had Vibram lug
soles, but the uppers were of a material that neither kept the water in
nor out. It was a realization that the feet would get wet, so better to
design them so the water can drain out, rather than have people walking
in sloshy boots all day.

Michael