Old 09-03-2010, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Simonite Paul Simonite is offline

Default What is this plant please?

The message

from Dave Hill contains these words:

On 17 Feb, 22:43, "Spider" wrote:
"Compo in Caithness" wrote in
On 17 Feb, 21:40, "Spider" wrote:

"Compo in Caithness" wrote in

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...ss/Perennial.j....

I would like to know what this plant is, please. \snip\

It's Erigeron karvinskianus. It will flower very early on in its life.

Spider

By jingo *I believe you are right! *Just looked at Google images and
it looks about perfect. *Many thanks Spider.

You're welcome! *Alas, it was an all too brief reply because I had
to go and
rescue my tea! :~)
As you have found, and Sacha confirms, it is the most charming of plants,
seeding itself about freely - but not too freely. * It can look
rather tatty
in winter, but don't cut it back until late spring, because that messy
sprawling hummock helps to shelter the crown of the plant. * It is
*fairly*
hardy where I am, but can suffer in bad winters. * Don't be too keen
to feed
it; it is far happier in poor soil. *In fact, anywhere between a
rock and a
hard place seems to suit it very well. *In full sun and poorish soil
it will
display its glorious 3-tone flower colours of white/pink/crimson all
on one
plant. *I have grown it in partial shade, however, where it has
mainly white
flowers and makes a charming edge-of-woodland plant. * Nevertheless, its
favoured home is in hungryish soil in lots of sun.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London,

Also known as Mexican Fleabane.
David Hill

Many thanks for the replies to my post. I am now wiser and hopefully
have found that eluusive plant - one that will grow in crevices in my
drystone walls.