Old 17-02-2010, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What is this plant please?

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...g?t=1266442314

I would like to know what this plant is, please. It was photographed
in the hills of Sintra in Portugal last October. It is hummocky and
bush-like but not very tall. I am thinking some sort of Anthemis but
not at all sure. I am growing a number of seedlings from it but it
may be years before it flowers.
Old 17-02-2010, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Compo in Caithness" wrote in message
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...g?t=1266442314

I would like to know what this plant is, please. It was photographed
in the hills of Sintra in Portugal last October. It is hummocky and
bush-like but not very tall. I am thinking some sort of Anthemis but
not at all sure. I am growing a number of seedlings from it but it
may be years before it flowers.

It's Erigeron karvinskianus. It will flower very early on in its life.

Spider

Old 17-02-2010, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17 Feb, 21:40, "Spider" wrote:
"Compo in Caithness" wrote in ...

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...ss/Perennial.j...

I would like to know what this plant is, please. It was photographed
in the hills of Sintra in Portugal last October. *It is hummocky and
bush-like but not very tall. *I am thinking *some sort of Anthemis but
not at all sure. *I am growing a number of seedlings from it but it
may be years before it flowers.

It's Erigeron karvinskianus. *It will flower very early on in its life.

Spider

By jingo I believe you are right! Just looked at Google images and
it looks about perfect. Many thanks Spider.
Old 17-02-2010, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17 Feb, 21:40, "Spider" wrote:
"Compo in Caithness" wrote in

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...ss/Perennial.j...

I would like to know what this plant is, please. It was photographed
in the hills of Sintra in Portugal last October. It is hummocky and
bush-like but not very tall. I am thinking some sort of Anthemis but
not at all sure. I am growing a number of seedlings from it but it
may be years before it flowers.

It's Erigeron karvinskianus. It will flower very early on in its life.

Spider

By jingo I believe you are right! Just looked at Google images and
it looks about perfect. Many thanks Spider.

You're welcome! Alas, it was an all too brief reply because I had to go and
rescue my tea! :~)
As you have found, and Sacha confirms, it is the most charming of plants,
seeding itself about freely - but not too freely. It can look rather tatty
in winter, but don't cut it back until late spring, because that messy
sprawling hummock helps to shelter the crown of the plant. It is *fairly*
hardy where I am, but can suffer in bad winters. Don't be too keen to feed
it; it is far happier in poor soil. In fact, anywhere between a rock and a
hard place seems to suit it very well. In full sun and poorish soil it will
display its glorious 3-tone flower colours of white/pink/crimson all on one
plant. I have grown it in partial shade, however, where it has mainly white
flowers and makes a charming edge-of-woodland plant. Nevertheless, its
favoured home is in hungryish soil in lots of sun.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London,

Old 18-02-2010, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 17 Feb, 22:43, "Spider" wrote:
"Compo in Caithness" wrote in ...
On 17 Feb, 21:40, "Spider" wrote:

[...]

Also known as Mexican Fleabane.
David Hill

Old 09-03-2010, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Dave Hill contains these words:

On 17 Feb, 22:43, "Spider" wrote:
"Compo in Caithness" wrote in
On 17 Feb, 21:40, "Spider" wrote:

"Compo in Caithness" wrote in

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...ss/Perennial.j....

I would like to know what this plant is, please. \snip\

[...]

Many thanks for the replies to my post. I am now wiser and hopefully
have found that eluusive plant - one that will grow in crevices in my
drystone walls.