Old 11-03-2010, 10:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default One vegetable that turned you towards gardening

Bill who putters wrote:
I'd have to say the Marglobe Tomato. Sandwich of tomato salt and
pepper and mayonnaise. Life is good than sometimes when out in the
garden hold the Salt, pepper and the mayo.
Sort of like eating fresh corn on the cob but that is # 2.

Artichokes and asparagus. In the supermarket they are to often weeks old.
Aside from shrinking and toughening the flavour changes with age, I think it
has something to do with sugar conversion but there is probably more to it
than that.

I recall the taste of tinned asparagus from my youth. Then I tried the
store-bought 'fresh' stuff, there is no comparison, I have never eaten the
tinned rubbish since. Then I grew it and had it really fresh, there is some
comparison but it is so much better. I still sometimes buy it in the off
season if it looks good, addicts have to do things like that.

David