Old 11-03-2010, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default One vegetable that turned you towards gardening

I'd have to say the Marglobe Tomato. Sandwich of tomato salt and
pepper and mayonnaise. Life is good than sometimes when out in the
garden hold the Salt, pepper and the mayo.
Sort of like eating fresh corn on the cob but that is # 2.

Joke

Why did not Chinese for all their achievements in science never develop
botany ?

Because they wondered what it would taste like.

Perhaps the joke is false?

http://Kaleidoscope.cultural-china.com/en/106Kaleidoscope17.html

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
http://www.globalissues.org/article/75/world-military-spending

Old 11-03-2010, 10:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill who putters wrote:
I'd have to say the Marglobe Tomato. Sandwich of tomato salt and
pepper and mayonnaise. Life is good than sometimes when out in the
garden hold the Salt, pepper and the mayo.
Sort of like eating fresh corn on the cob but that is # 2.

Artichokes and asparagus. In the supermarket they are to often weeks old.
Aside from shrinking and toughening the flavour changes with age, I think it
has something to do with sugar conversion but there is probably more to it
than that.

I recall the taste of tinned asparagus from my youth. Then I tried the
store-bought 'fresh' stuff, there is no comparison, I have never eaten the
tinned rubbish since. Then I grew it and had it really fresh, there is some
comparison but it is so much better. I still sometimes buy it in the off
season if it looks good, addicts have to do things like that.

David

Old 11-03-2010, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:
[...]

A junkie for real food sort of sounds science fictionish. Does the
concept make sense. I look about and traditional food is being replaced
by a packages. Salads prepared vs tearing out salad oneself. The
package seems machined and crude with no concern for the end unit Oh I
mean Person.

Guess in a way addicted to fresh is I hope common. Doubtful. The
ability to grow fresh is a luxury with the idea of sprouting your own
seeds close but surly no replacement. What can be done ? All I know is
set an example realizing the REAL food is getting more expensive.
Tomatoes $3.49 lb. that are inedible along with onions with the last
cool spell in Fla. an excuse.

Paranoid Charlie may be right on .

Bill Paranoid but no where near as much as Charlie or Billy a
delusional self appraisal. Paranoid folks telling us not to worry
sort of like ignore that man behind the screen ..Wizard of Oz.

So follow the yellow brick road but do not eat the yellow snow. Which
is just about gone here. Yea so I can plant tomorrow yeah right.

PS to be spoken in a hush voice
Got any Prozac or Peyote .................

Old 12-03-2010, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Charlie wrote:
I still have, and read, an essay that you posted some years ago, that
summarizes my relationship with plants and the soil. It ain't simply
chemistry, no matter what Billy may claim. ;-) It's about mystery,
and magic and culture...getting your hands in the soil with the
organisms and receiving what they impart, both from contact and from
what they impart to the food we eat. Lots of other stuff that is
real, not the chimera of our "modern" world and modern food-like
products.

The way that I garden is fairly empirical and scientific but not entirely.
I use mainly organic methods because: it works, it is cost effective for
me and it is more sustainable.

But if it is a choice of the bugs get the crop or me I decide in my own
favour and spray but use the least toxic spray that will do the job. I use
potassium sulphate on my soil even though it is a purely synthetic substance
because I cannot add potassium easily and cheaply any other way. The fact
that it is (anomalously) an accepted input by most organic standards
concerns me not at all. I don't use ammonium nitrate, another purely
synthetic substance, not because the organic standard says I cannot but
because it can be harmful to the soil and because I can find nitrogen easily
and cheaply in several other ways which are not.

However why I garden is different. I garden because I enjoy the produce and
the activity, both are good for my body and mind.

The mind has two parts, the first is an analytic and constructive part.
That part says that compost tea works because it contains nutrients and
useful microorganisms not because Rudolf Steiner poured it through a cow's
horn and stirred it clockwise under a full moon and thus harnessed the flux
emanating from the navel of earth.

The other part is more mystical and instinctive, it is involved in
expression and appreciation and other things which cannot be measured. That
part tells me that if I eat the fruits of my labour directly instead of
employing a middle man I will feel good regardless of the difference in
health giving qualities (which the analytic part says are also there). The
instinctive part says that if I have a plot of earth to care for I will feel
better than if I don't - disregarding the practicality that the more I care
for it the more it will give back to me. Both parts need to be exercised
like the body or like the body they will diminish.

David

Old 12-03-2010, 03:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

No one vegetable turned me towards gardening. When I was a child I (for
some reason) asked my dad if we could plant a garden...maybe it was some
assignment from elementary school, but he went along and we planted carrots.
and a few other things...I just remember the carrots...they came up and we
thinned them, and they grew, and we harvested them and ate them. It was
amazing to me that we could actually grow something and eat it. Fast
forward 30 years, and I met the woman that would become my wife, and she had
studied horticulture in college, and in our tiny backyard garden raised
lettuce, habanero peppers, and a host of herbs. Now, living on 9 acres we
have established asparagus beds, peaches, and grapes. We raise a variety
of heirloom tomatoes and peppers. The melons we raise, and those we buy
from our neighbors are impossible to buy in any marketplace and are
spectacular. In my opinion, gardening is a skill that I hope more people
learn. Few things are more rewarding than going to the garden and
harvesting what you need to cook whatever you want in your own kitchen. It
really isn't rocket surgery, just start learning and plant some seeds. You
will have success, and you will have failure....such is life. But gardening
is like anything else in life....and this is a fact;.

the more you learn, the more you learn you don't know...

Old 12-03-2010, 05:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Charlie wrote:
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 14:40:02 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Charlie wrote:
[...]

Well spoken, David.

"Primum non nocere"

"First, do no harm", is a maxim which I attempt to follow when it
comes to gardening, the soil and my relationship with our planet, to
the point of zealotry, as has been pointed out...an ideal which I
admittedly fall short of meeting when it comes to my interactions with
humans.

I only differ with you in that when it comes to critters that are
beating me out of produce, I try and discern alternatives or improve
or change conditions that are causing this.... or do without.

I wasn't clear. Spraying is the last resort. I pick 'em off by hand,
enclose in cages, hose away, use BT etc if I can get a reasonable yield that
way. If it gets to the point where the bugs are winning then I will spray
rather than do without.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

Artichokes and asparagus. In the supermarket they are to often weeks old.
Aside from shrinking and toughening the flavour changes with age, I think
it has something to do with sugar conversion but there is probably more to
it than that.

I recall the taste of tinned asparagus from my youth. Then I tried the
store-bought 'fresh' stuff, there is no comparison, I have never eaten the
tinned rubbish since. Then I grew it and had it really fresh, there is
some comparison but it is so much better. I still sometimes buy it in the
off season if it looks good, addicts have to do things like that.

Ooooh yes. Asparagus has got to be one of the best of the home grown
foodstuffs.

I can't really remember any specific thing that caused me to grow veg. I've
been growing veg all my adult life - "have ground, will plant".

Himself (my supposed better half) has always said he hated beans and every
single time I've smuggled them into a dish (always with a heavy sauce so he
couldn't really identify them before they hit his mouth) and asked him how
he liked them, he's said they weren't beans but were peas. I don't bother
arguing as I know they are beans not peas. It's been years since I grew
them but this year I finally decided that I would grow them again and put
them undisguised and obviously bean like and simply steamed on his plate.
The bloody man has been eating them and enjoying them but he just won't
harvest them.

Old 14-03-2010, 06:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

There was no one vegetable that turned me on to gardening. Rather, it was
the purchase of a home with a very large yard, at the time I had three
little kids and the memories of my parents growing a lot of our own food on
a little farm in Oregon when I was a kid. I started out with some basics
that didn't do well in our clayey soil (onions, carrots), and a few that did
very well (tomatoes, peppers), and sort of went fro there, expanding each
year. Five years and one more child later, I now feel it's my obligation as
a parent to provide my kids with the best foods I possibly can. (Plus, the
cool distinction of having found ways to grow amazing amounts of food in
this terrible soil!)
--S.