Old 12-03-2010, 03:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Thos Thos is offline

Default One vegetable that turned you towards gardening

No one vegetable turned me towards gardening. When I was a child I (for
some reason) asked my dad if we could plant a garden...maybe it was some
assignment from elementary school, but he went along and we planted carrots.
and a few other things...I just remember the carrots...they came up and we
thinned them, and they grew, and we harvested them and ate them. It was
amazing to me that we could actually grow something and eat it. Fast
forward 30 years, and I met the woman that would become my wife, and she had
studied horticulture in college, and in our tiny backyard garden raised
lettuce, habanero peppers, and a host of herbs. Now, living on 9 acres we
have established asparagus beds, peaches, and grapes. We raise a variety
of heirloom tomatoes and peppers. The melons we raise, and those we buy
from our neighbors are impossible to buy in any marketplace and are
spectacular. In my opinion, gardening is a skill that I hope more people
learn. Few things are more rewarding than going to the garden and
harvesting what you need to cook whatever you want in your own kitchen. It
really isn't rocket surgery, just start learning and plant some seeds. You
will have success, and you will have failure....such is life. But gardening
is like anything else in life....and this is a fact;.

the more you learn, the more you learn you don't know...

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
I'd have to say the Marglobe Tomato. Sandwich of tomato salt and
pepper and mayonnaise. Life is good than sometimes when out in the
garden hold the Salt, pepper and the mayo.
Sort of like eating fresh corn on the cob but that is # 2.

Joke

Why did not Chinese for all their achievements in science never develop
botany ?

Because they wondered what it would taste like.

Perhaps the joke is false?

http://Kaleidoscope.cultural-china.com/en/106Kaleidoscope17.html

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
http://www.globalissues.org/article/75/world-military-spending