Old 14-03-2010, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts[_2_] David WE Roberts[_2_] is offline

Default paddock to garden

On 2010-03-13 23:26:27 +0000, Janet Tweedy
said:

Thinking I might have to move some time in the future and looking at
houses generally i came across a couple with paddocks.
Does that mean that they can't be gardens even if attached to the house?

Janet

I think you'd need to check about change of use with the lawyer doing the
searches when you move, Janet.

There is a term 'curtilage' which tends to refer to the grounds around a
property which are for domestic use, but it is a very imprecise area.
e.g.
http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/vi...9b4f 78d94dbc

We came across the term when looking at properties in the Yorkshire Dales,
where they are very strict about new development encroaching on the
countryside.

A while back, but I think that if land is part of your 'curtilage' then it
can potentially have housing put on it - presumably you could knock down one
house and split the land for two or more houses, for example.

Therefore the authorities were very wary of land adjacent to existing
properties being 'incorporated' into the garden because this might lead to
creeping new development.
The 'cutilage' was strictly defined and although you could have fields,
paddocks etc. around your property you weren't allowed to use them as part
of your garden.
It seemed wierd at the time.

So probably it depends on the area you are considering and the local view on
planning.
As suggested in the link, the best thing to do is talk to the planning
officer for the area.

HTH

Dave R