Old 13-03-2010, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default paddock to garden

Thinking I might have to move some time in the future and looking at
houses generally i came across a couple with paddocks.
Does that mean that they can't be gardens even if attached to the house?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 14-03-2010, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-03-13 23:26:27 +0000, Janet Tweedy
said:

Thinking I might have to move some time in the future and looking at
houses generally i came across a couple with paddocks.
Does that mean that they can't be gardens even if attached to the house?

Janet

I think you'd need to check about change of use with the lawyer doing the
searches when you move, Janet.

There is a term 'curtilage' which tends to refer to the grounds around a
property which are for domestic use, but it is a very imprecise area.
e.g.
http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/vi...9b4f 78d94dbc

We came across the term when looking at properties in the Yorkshire Dales,
where they are very strict about new development encroaching on the
countryside.

A while back, but I think that if land is part of your 'curtilage' then it
can potentially have housing put on it - presumably you could knock down one
house and split the land for two or more houses, for example.

Therefore the authorities were very wary of land adjacent to existing
properties being 'incorporated' into the garden because this might lead to
creeping new development.
The 'cutilage' was strictly defined and although you could have fields,
paddocks etc. around your property you weren't allowed to use them as part
of your garden.
It seemed wierd at the time.

So probably it depends on the area you are considering and the local view on
planning.
As suggested in the link, the best thing to do is talk to the planning
officer for the area.

HTH

Dave R

Old 16-03-2010, 01:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David WE Roberts
writes
So probably it depends on the area you are considering and the local
view on planning.
As suggested in the link, the best thing to do is talk to the planning
officer for the area.

HTH

Yes i rather thought that might be the answer, pity, a decent sized
garden is really difficult to get nowadays without paying a lot of
money!

Janet
Old 17-03-2010, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , David WE Roberts
writes
So probably it depends on the area you are considering and the local view
on planning.
As suggested in the link, the best thing to do is talk to the planning
officer for the area.

HTH

Yes i rather thought that might be the answer, pity, a decent sized garden
is really difficult to get nowadays without paying a lot of money!

Personally I would just do it, unless you've seriously upset a neighbour who
is au fait with the rules and would dob you in, no one would have any idea
you couldn't grow things on your paddock. Go for it, girl.

Tina

Old 17-03-2010, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 17 Mar, 21:29, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

... In article , David WE Roberts
writes
So probably it depends on the area you are considering and the local view
on planning.
As suggested in the link, the best thing to do is talk to the planning
officer for the area.

HTH

Yes i rather thought that might be the answer, pity, a decent sized garden
is really difficult to get nowadays without paying a lot of money!

Personally I would just do it, unless you've seriously upset a neighbour who
is au fait with the rules and would dob you in, no one would have any idea
you couldn't grow things on your paddock. *Go for it, girl.

Tina

Well if you are growing and seling plants you can argue that what you
are planting out are stock plants you will need for taking cuttings
etc from.
David Hill

Old 20-04-2010, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Christina Websell" contains these
words:

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , David WE Roberts
writes
So probably it depends on the area you are considering and the local
view
on planning.
As suggested in the link, the best thing to do is talk to the planning
officer for the area.

HTH

Yes i rather thought that might be the answer, pity, a decent sized
garden
is really difficult to get nowadays without paying a lot of money!

Personally I would just do it, unless you've seriously upset a
neighbour who
is au fait with the rules and would dob you in, no one would have any
idea
you couldn't grow things on your paddock. Go for it, girl.

If it;s visible from the roadside, planning depts *will* spot it like
hawks . No point getting on their wrong side; its far better
IME to make an informal telephone call for their advice. They are
usually helpful.

Even grazing paddocks can qualify for windbreak hedging,
shelterbelts and drinking areas for future livestock; etc or
agricultural holdings can be discussed with a view to planting for
wildlife conservation.
or fruit production for your home preserves.

But what I'd like to know is at what point it becomes a "paddock" if it was
was a part of a huge garden and you decided to graze horses on it for a
while- then decided to go back to growing veg on it again?