Old 15-03-2010, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default Mice in the snail and slug baits

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Rachels" wrote

A couple of days ago I bought some slug/snail baits (no beer baits,
using another substance). These are not supposed to harm wildlife other
than slugs & snails. Unfortunately, I've had 2 drowned mice in the
baits - I don't want to hurt mice in the garden.

Would this happen if I used beer rather than false bait? Is there any
way I can avoid it happening?

What is this magical stuff that drowns mice? I want lots of it, wonder if
it will drown rats as well, might just get some Peas and Sweetcorn if it
works.

Ah, if you have rats, you need to get the terrier men in. I can provide you
with a link to a place where you can find such people who would like to
exercise their terriers on your rats free of charge.

Having poultry, rats are always a problem for me. I used to poison them,
but decided it was unkind.
We have a rat hunt here every couple of months when the chaps come with a
few dogs - they smoke them out and what I like is that the rats either get
away scot free if the dogs miss them or they don't. There is no lingering
death. A mega second if they are caught otherwise they get away and thumb
their nose until next time.
I recommend this method for rat control since I found a poisoned one dying
slowly, I made my mind up then I would never use poison again. Ever.
It's cruel.

Tina