Old 13-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Registered User

Default Mice in the snail and slug baits

Hi,

A couple of days ago I bought some slug/snail baits (no beer baits, using another substance). These are not supposed to harm wildlife other than slugs & snails. Unfortunately, I've had 2 drowned mice in the baits - I don't want to hurt mice in the garden.

Would this happen if I used beer rather than false bait? Is there any way I can avoid it happening?
Old 13-03-2010, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 09:15:22 -0500, Rachels
wrote:

Hi,

A couple of days ago I bought some slug/snail baits (no beer baits,
using another substance). These are not supposed to harm wildlife other
than slugs & snails. Unfortunately, I've had 2 drowned mice in the
baits - I don't want to hurt mice in the garden.

Would this happen if I used beer rather than false bait? Is there any
way I can avoid it happening?

Erm not unless you install a lifeguard (My cat would volunteer)
--
http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 13-03-2010, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rachels" wrote in message

Hi,

A couple of days ago I bought some slug/snail baits (no beer baits,
using another substance). These are not supposed to harm wildlife other
than slugs & snails. Unfortunately, I've had 2 drowned mice in the
baits - I don't want to hurt mice in the garden.

Would this happen if I used beer rather than false bait? Is there any
way I can avoid it happening?

What is this "other substance" that you are using?
Whatever it is reduce the depth of it, 3/4 inch is enough to drown slugs and
not mice.
Tina

Old 13-03-2010, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rachels wrote:
Hi,

A couple of days ago I bought some slug/snail baits (no beer baits,
using another substance). These are not supposed to harm wildlife other
than slugs & snails. Unfortunately, I've had 2 drowned mice in the
baits - I don't want to hurt mice in the garden.

Would this happen if I used beer rather than false bait? Is there any
way I can avoid it happening?

It's more likely to happen with beer 'cos they get inn - inee - inea -
drunk on the incohol.

Put a stick in the pot so the meeces can climb out again.

--
Rusty
Old 13-03-2010, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rachels" wrote

A couple of days ago I bought some slug/snail baits (no beer baits,
using another substance). These are not supposed to harm wildlife other
than slugs & snails. Unfortunately, I've had 2 drowned mice in the
baits - I don't want to hurt mice in the garden.

Would this happen if I used beer rather than false bait? Is there any
way I can avoid it happening?

What is this magical stuff that drowns mice? I want lots of it, wonder if it
will drown rats as well, might just get some Peas and Sweetcorn if it works.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 15-03-2010, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Rachels" wrote

A couple of days ago I bought some slug/snail baits (no beer baits,
using another substance). These are not supposed to harm wildlife other
than slugs & snails. Unfortunately, I've had 2 drowned mice in the
baits - I don't want to hurt mice in the garden.

Would this happen if I used beer rather than false bait? Is there any
way I can avoid it happening?

What is this magical stuff that drowns mice? I want lots of it, wonder if
it will drown rats as well, might just get some Peas and Sweetcorn if it
works.

Ah, if you have rats, you need to get the terrier men in. I can provide you
with a link to a place where you can find such people who would like to
exercise their terriers on your rats free of charge.

Having poultry, rats are always a problem for me. I used to poison them,
but decided it was unkind.
We have a rat hunt here every couple of months when the chaps come with a
few dogs - they smoke them out and what I like is that the rats either get
away scot free if the dogs miss them or they don't. There is no lingering
death. A mega second if they are caught otherwise they get away and thumb
their nose until next time.
I recommend this method for rat control since I found a poisoned one dying
slowly, I made my mind up then I would never use poison again. Ever.
It's cruel.

Tina

Old 15-03-2010, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote ...

Ah, if you have rats, you need to get the terrier men in. I can provide
you with a link to a place where you can find such people who would like
to exercise their terriers on your rats free of charge.

Having poultry, rats are always a problem for me. I used to poison them,
but decided it was unkind.
We have a rat hunt here every couple of months when the chaps come with a
few dogs - they smoke them out and what I like is that the rats either get
away scot free if the dogs miss them or they don't. There is no lingering
death. A mega second if they are caught otherwise they get away and thumb
their nose until next time.
I recommend this method for rat control since I found a poisoned one dying
slowly, I made my mind up then I would never use poison again. Ever.
It's cruel.

The thought of a load of big feet and dogs tearing about on my allotment
does not appeal, would ruin the delicate soil structure for a start and
would not do the young plants much good. The mice live underground so you
would have to dig them out. Poison is the only answer.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 15-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachels View Post
Hi,

A couple of days ago I bought some slug/snail baits (no beer baits, using another substance). These are not supposed to harm wildlife other than slugs & snails. Unfortunately, I've had 2 drowned mice in the baits - I don't want to hurt mice in the garden.

Would this happen if I used beer rather than false bait? Is there any way I can avoid it happening?
why not try a Slug Bell wildlife cannot get into them
Old 15-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"Christina Websell" wrote ...

[...]

I hate all these cruel methods of killing animals, even mice. I don't like mice but I had to put my foot down when my husband wanted to buy one of those horrible glue traps. You can get mouse repellers though, they are completely humane. We tried one (at my insistance!) and it worked really well. I got mine from this site:

http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/mou...s-c-24_25.html

They might have something for the slugs too, always worth a look.
Old 15-03-2010, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote ...

[...]

I wasn't talking about mice, I thought you said you had rats.
Tina

Old 15-03-2010, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

DebbieR wrote:
I hate all these cruel methods of killing animals, even mice. I don't
like mice but I had to put my foot down when my husband wanted to buy
one of those horrible glue traps. You can get mouse repellers though,
they are completely humane. We tried one (at my insistance!) and it
worked really well. I got mine from this site:

We bought a set of mouse repellers for the kitchen, and they are totally
useless. In fact, when a mouse came and stole all the spaghetti squash
seeds I was drying out sat and ate them directly under where one of the
repellers was plugged in!
Old 20-03-2010, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"DebbieR" wrote in message
news

"Christina Websell" wrote ...-

-
The thought of a load of big feet and dogs tearing about on my allotment

does not appeal, would ruin the delicate soil structure for a start and

would not do the young plants much good. The mice live underground so
you
would have to dig them out. Poison is the only answer.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

I hate all these cruel methods of killing animals, even mice. I don't
like mice but I had to put my foot down when my husband wanted to buy
one of those horrible glue traps. You can get mouse repellers though,
they are completely humane. We tried one (at my insistance!) and it
worked really well. I got mine from this site:

http://tinyurl.com/yaknfa4

They might have something for the slugs too, always worth a look.

Glue traps should be illegal. Did anyone know that if a rat gets caught on
one it will actually gnaw off it's own feet to get off it? Then of course it
crawls away somewhere to die.
Glue traps are banned by the RSPCA and proper pest controllers would never
use them.
Please never consider a glue trap for mice or rats unless you are able to
find them quickly and kill them yourself - because that's what you have to
do with a glue trap. You actually have to kill them yourself once they are
stuck on the glue board, alive.
Tina

Mice blasted mice Broadback[_2_] United Kingdom 42 22-12-2009 07:06 PM
Terro Liquid Ant baits Paul Gardening 9 23-07-2009 10:45 AM
Slug and snail solution. Sue & Bob Hobden United Kingdom 1 03-05-2003 01:56 AM
slug and snail control Snooze Gardening 16 05-03-2003 12:51 PM
slug and snail control Snooze Roses 21 04-03-2003 07:53 PM