Old 15-03-2010, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Mice in the snail and slug baits

"Christina Websell" wrote ...

Ah, if you have rats, you need to get the terrier men in. I can provide
you with a link to a place where you can find such people who would like
to exercise their terriers on your rats free of charge.

Having poultry, rats are always a problem for me. I used to poison them,
but decided it was unkind.
We have a rat hunt here every couple of months when the chaps come with a
few dogs - they smoke them out and what I like is that the rats either get
away scot free if the dogs miss them or they don't. There is no lingering
death. A mega second if they are caught otherwise they get away and thumb
their nose until next time.
I recommend this method for rat control since I found a poisoned one dying
slowly, I made my mind up then I would never use poison again. Ever.
It's cruel.

The thought of a load of big feet and dogs tearing about on my allotment
does not appeal, would ruin the delicate soil structure for a start and
would not do the young plants much good. The mice live underground so you
would have to dig them out. Poison is the only answer.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden